Racers compete in Georgia Tech University Invite

Senior Aubrey Main jumps in her event at the Georgia Tech University Invite. (Photo by Dave Winder/Racer Athletics)

Story by Keenan Hall

Staff writer

Murray State women’s track and field team concluded its two-day meet at the Georgia Tech University Invite last weekend.

The Racers competed hard in Atlanta, Georgia, despite encountering some unfavorable conditions. Murray State Head Coach Adam Kiesler said facing off in the unforeseen weather proved to be a gauge on the status of his team as the season winds down.  

“After a few good weeks of training, the invite was a good barometer of where we stand with four weeks left in the season,” Kiesler said. “I am happy with the energy level that we brought to the meet.”

On day one, senior sprinter Tamdra Lawrence came out strong for Murray State finishing fourth in the 100m with a time of 11.82. Freshman distance runner Emma Creviston also had a personal best time with 4:49.12 in the 1500m. Freshman sprinter Rachel Hagans finished in ninth place in the 100m with a 12.06.

Redshirt sophomore Jessikha Ribiero came tied her personal record with a 5.70 jump, good for 14th place out of 41. Also, sophomore sprinter/hurdler Antoinetta Avant ran a personal best in the 100m hurdles with a time of 12.29.

For day two if the Invite, Murray State’s relay teams had some big performances. The 4x100m relay team consisting of seniors Daijah White, Lawrence, Avant, and Hagans, finished in fifth with a time of 46.80. That time was good for second-best in the OVC this season.

The 4x400m relay team also finished with a time of 3:51.63, also the second-best time in the OVC this season. The runners were freshman JacKayla McSwain, senior Aubrey Main, junior Norma Abdur-Rafia, and junior Hillary McAdam.

In the field events, junior Destiny Carey placed sixth in the shot put with a 13.27m throw.

Junior Jewel Wagner finished in 12th with a distance of 11.57m. Kielser is satisfied with his team’s performance and is anxious to see them improve with four weeks left in the season.

“A lot of athletes have some big marks coming right around the corner,” Kielser said. “That is what we have been working for since August so it will be fun to see everyone achieve their goals in the upcoming weeks.”

The Racers travel to compete in the Drake University Relays and the Memphis Invitational this weekend. These events will be held from April 25-27, in Des Moines, Iowa, and April 26-27in  Memphis, Tennessee.