Morant declares for NBA draft

Sophomore guard Ja Morant declares for the NBA Draft amongst Racer fans and media at the CFSB Center. (Photo by Blake Sandlin/TheNews)

Story by Blake Sandlin

Interim Editor-In-Chief

Sophomore guard Ja Morant announced on Wednesday, April 3, that he will end his celebrated two-year college career and officially enter the 2019 NBA Draft.

The news, which was delivered by Morant alongside his mother Jamie, father Tee, Head Coach Matt McMahon and a large crowd of fans gathered in the CFSB Center, comes as no surprise to many who followed Morant along his historic run with the Racers.

Sophomore guard Ja Morant, his father Tee and his mother Jamie sit in front of Racer fans and media as Morant declares for the NBA Draft. (Photo by Blake Sandlin/TheNews)

The 19-year-old sophomore is expected to be taken as the No. 2 pick in this coming draft, according to ESPN mock drafts. Yet before he steps into the spotlight on June 20 in New York, Morant took the time to thank those who helped guide him to this point.

“First, I’d just like to thank God for blessing me and allowing me to play the game of basketball,” Morant said. “I’d like to thank my coaches, teammates, managers, advisers, fans; just everybody for everything y’all have done for me.”

Despite all the expectations of Morant’s impending departure throughout the season, the Dalzell, South Carolina, native admitted that leaving the Racers was a tougher decision than he expected.

“It was difficult,” Morant said. “Obviously me and my teammates had a great season this year, but just talking with my parents we thought we could take a day to make the decision, but another day went by, another day went by. So it was a very tough decision to, I guess, leave Murray State. There’s still a place in my heart, and I’ll always be a Racer.”

Morant announced he would be represented by Tandem Sports and Entertainment through the draft process and into his NBA career. Tandem also represents NBA legend Ray Allen, who has ties to the Morant family after playing on the same high school basketball team as Morant’s father, Tee.

Morant’s decision means he’s the second player in Murray State history to forego his remaining years of eligibility to enter the NBA draft. Cameron Payne became the first in 2015. Morant will become the 23rd player in Murray State’s history to be taken in the draft when his name is called in June.

NBA fans will now wait with bated breath with the regular season waning, as they hope to get a chance at Morant. Currently, the Knicks, Suns and Cavaliers own the greatest odds of landing the top picks in the 2019 draft.

“I want to thank Ja for being the ambassador that he’s been and will continue to be for the University,” McMahon said. “It’s amazing where the game of basketball can take you. He started off inspiring people in his hometown of Dalzell, South Carolina, then to Murray, Kentucky, and now impacting people not only across the country, but people around the world.”

Head Coach Matt McMahon applauds Morant as he announces his decision to enter the NBA Draft. (Photo by Blake Sandlin/TheNews)

Although he’s departing, Morant made sure to leave his mark on Murray State’s record books. In addition to leading Murray State to two OVC Championships and one NCAA Tournament win, Morant also set the Murray State assist record in just two seasons and set single-season records in assists and points.

He led the NCAA in triple-doubles this year with three, and became the first player in NCAA history to average 20 points and 10 assists in a season.

Even with all the fame, expectations and accolades Morant has accrued over his two years at Murray State, he was quick to remember the one man who made his dream a reality in high school and took a chance on him when no other program would.

“I want to give another shout out to (former Murray State assistant) coach James Kane for coming to a packed gym and finding me, and really giving me the opportunity to play at Murray State, a great program, and in front of great fans,” Morant said.

As for what’s next for the sophomore guard as he prepares for the NBA Draft, Morant summed it up best.

“A whole lot of work,” Morant said.