Discover your plant passions in the Horticulture club

Story by Sara Howell, Features editor

Photo by Richard Thompson/The News

Anything fruit, vegetable, flower or plant is commonly known in the agriculture world.  The Murray State Horticulture Club strives to communicate these things to its members.

Steve Still, assistant professor of horticulture, has been the advisor for this club for four years.  

“The purpose of the club is to bring together students with an interest in horticulture and the greenhouse industry in a fun and supportive way,” Still said.

He said the club has an annual spring plant sale at the greenhouse in April, takes trips to gardens and greenhouses, competes every spring at different locations in the south in horticulture competitions and volunteers in the community.

John Brumley, sophomore from Boston, Kentucky, is serving his first year as the club president.

Once a month we visit Spring Creek for plant therapy with the elderly, and they really receive that well,” Brumley said. “We also have a preschool day and other school visits at the Arboretum.”

He said the club hosts movie nights at the Arboretum, and they usually have an activity at the end of their meetings.

We will either do something crafty or something that benefits the club. Something we have done in the past is make floral arrangements in pumpkins for Halloween,” Brumley said. “Other activities have included germinating new seeds and teaching our members how to propagate plants.”

He said the seeds and plants they germinate and propagate often end up in the club’s plant sales.

Madison Carmichael, senior from Dover, Tennessee, serves as the secretary for the club.

“We have about 50 members in the club, though some participate more than others,” Carmichael said.

She said the club is not exclusive to horticulture majors; like many clubs on campus, students from any major are welcome to join.

“Our current president John is a veterinary major,” Carmichael said. “For him and many others, Horticulture Club is an interesting and fun hobby.”   

She said every year the club participates in the Southern Region-ASHS Annual Meeting and Competition.

“At this conference students are able to compete in vegetable crop judging and plant identification,” Carmichael said. “Many of the colleges who attend make a presentation over club activities throughout the past year.”

The club raises money through its annual spring plant sale at the Arboretum, she said, they sell herbs and succulents to those eager to become plant parents.

“This semester the club is planning to go on a field trip to a botanical garden,” Carmichael said. “We’re hoping this trip will help to grow our members’ passion for plants and that the experience will educate them as well.”

If anyone is interested in becoming a member of this club, they are welcome to come to a meeting on the fourth floor of the Oakley Applied Science Building. Follow @murraystatehort on Instagram for specific dates and times of the meetings.