Student orientations return to campus

Students+and+families+gather+for+browsing+under+the+Waterfield+library+breezeway.+
Courtesy of Murray State University
Students and families gather for browsing under the Waterfield library breezeway.

Racer Nation Orientations (RNO) have begun on the Murray State campus, and upwards of 1,200 people are expected to attend the sessions.

Don Robertson, vice president of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, reported 1,205 people had signed up for an RNO session at the April 24 Student Government Association meeting.

These sessions are designed to assist students in transitioning into college life by providing an opportunity to register for classes, learn more about important campus resources and connect with other new students.

Beth Acreman, associate director of new student programs in the Office of Recruitment, said the goal is to make Murray State a home away from home. 

“All new Racers’ college journey begins with (RNO),” Acreman said. “We want Murray State to feel like a home away from home, and orientation is designed to provide this.”

Another goal of the program is to utilize experienced students as leaders of RNO sessions to make connections with incoming students.

Kara Milner, an RNO leader, said her freshman-year RNO sessions gave her comfort when she felt intimidated by college life, which motivates her to make the beginning of college less intimidating for current incoming students.

“I want them to feel less overwhelmed and leave the orientation not with a feeling of anxiety, but with a feeling of excitement,” she said. “I want each member of my group to feel seen and loved and leave feeling like they at least have a few people in their corner here at Murray (State).”

Jenna Byrd, another RNO leader, said during training, each orientation leader was encouraged to “take off their cool caps” and be themselves when interacting with incoming students.