Cabaret the musical is to be performed from April 25-28.
'Cabaret' musical offers glimpse into 1920s Berlin
MacKenzie Rogers, Lifestyle Editor • April 26, 2024

The department of global languages and theatre arts and the department of music teamed up together to present the musical “Cabaret” from...

VIDEO: Lovett Live returns after pandemic absence
Rebeca Mertins Chiodini, Photography Editor • April 26, 2024

In the pre-COVID era, music business students at Murray State University produced and hosted Lovett Live, a night of music in the historic auditorium...

Campus videographer retires after 26 years

Shasta O’Neal announced her plans to retire, looks back at time with the University
After+more+than+two+decades+with+the+University%2C+ONeal+celebrated+her+retirement+in+March%2C+surrounded+by+friends+and+coworkers.+Photo+provided+by+Jeremy+McKeel.+
After more than two decades with the University, O’Neal celebrated her retirement in March, surrounded by friends and coworkers. Photo provided by Jeremy McKeel.

After a long and accomplished career at Murray State, Shasta O’Neal, digital media services administrative specialist, held her retirement party on March 28.

O’Neal has worked as a producer and videographer for Murray State’s in-house media production department since 1998. Her work has been instrumental in promoting University departments and student recruitment. Due to health complications, O’Neal has announced her retirement this year. Faculty, staff, administration, students and alumni gathered in Heritage Hall on Thursday to celebrate and wish her well as she enters retirement.

O’Neal joined the University staff when WQTV Channel 46 was donated to the school 26 years ago. At the television station, she worked on master control daily logs to ensure the right things were aired at the right time. Murray State gave up ownership of WQTV in 2002, and the remaining personnel became the staff of digital media services. 

O’Neal filled many roles and took on many jobs over the years, and her hard work has been a driving force behind University promotion. Jeremy McKeel, digital media services manager, has worked alongside O’Neal since they were both employees at WQTV. They have collaborated on a wide range of projects throughout their time at Murray State. 

“As a colleague, Shasta is an incredibly hard working person,” McKeel said. “She’s the type of person that really would go above and beyond in everything that she did and wanted to be of help to everyone. She is a really outgoing and friendly person.”

Digital media services handles all videography and photography work for Murray State promotional material. O’Neal and her coworkers often have a hand in filming, editing and producing commercials and event coverage. This includes streamed events like All-Campus Sing, which O’Neal said is very enjoyable to do because of the creative way it highlights students having fun on campus.

“Working for digital media services has been amazing,” O’Neal said. “I’ve had some of the best coworkers I think you could ever have. They’re always looking out for each other when we need help in our production or just with creativity in a video we’re working on. They’ve really been there for me to help me through (my health issues). I was able to keep my job as long as I have because of my great coworkers.”

O’Neal said one of the most enjoyable projects she worked on during her tenure was Murray State’s weekly TV show, Roundabout U. 

McKeel said O’Neal made many connections for digital media services while producing Roundabout U because she was constantly reaching out to different individuals and departments around campus.

“Roundabout U really taught me a lot about Murray State,” O’Neal said. “It helped me gain better relationships with students and (assist them in) fine (tuning) their qualities for (future jobs).”

Roundabout U is no longer in production, but episodes from 2009 to 2016 are available on the show’s YouTube channel. 

Brandon Story, digital media services production coordinator and Murray State alum, was a student worker during Roundabout U’s production. O’Neal worked closely with him as both a mentor and a coworker.

“She taught me how to shoot video, write and edit for the show…  A lot of time was spent under Shasta’s guidance,” Story said. “I owe a lot to her as she taught me a lot of the basic skills I utilize everyday in video production.”

The retirement party brought many colleagues and students together in celebration of all O’Neal has done as the administrative assistant of digital media services. McKeel said that, although it is sad to see her go, he and the other attendees are glad she can enjoy some well-deserved rest after an accomplished career.

“I am very appreciative of the support the whole campus has shown me,” O’Neal said. “Everyone has helped me be able to get medical attention to start my road to recovery. My family and I are forever grateful.”