ADVANCE to host workshops

Murray State is holding an ADVANCE workshop aimed to encourage men to become effective allies for gender equity.

This workshop will either be held on March 14 at 8:30 a.m. or 12 p.m. or on March 15 at 8:30 a.m. The workshop  will last about 90 minutes and will be led by Roger Green, an electrical and computer engineering professor from North Dakota State University. 

It will also include interactive conversations with opportunities to learn, practice skills through scenario-based exercises and ask questions.

This session isn’t the only workshop that ADVANCE will be hosting for Murray State this year. ADVANCE will be holding a writing retreat for up to 20 female faculty members from June 10-14.

The goal of this workshop is to allow these faculty to have a dedicated time and space to invest in their writing skills. The retreat will last one week during the summer but will lead into an eight-week self-managed writing session with a follow-up meeting in August.

Maeve McCarthy, director of Murray State ADVANCE and assistant dean of the College of Science, Engineering, and Technology, said  ADVANCE is a national organization that aims to help women faculty in STEM.

“ADVANCE is a National Science Foundation funded project that has been at MSU since 2016 (and) focuses on the recruitment and retention of women faculty in STEM,” McCarthy said. “The workshops are one of the programs we offer.” 

Every year, ADVANCE holds many different workshops that benefit women and cover a range of topics.

“Speakers come to share the kind of work they’ve done at their institutions, and we learn from that,” McCarthy said. “In the fall, we had a speaker talk about tenure reform. This spring, it’s about advocacy and support structures. The workshops benefit our faculty by offering outside perspectives to issues that we are addressing at MSU.”

These workshops are usually held once a semester. More information can be found at www.murraystate.edu/advance.