Beshear’s lead shrinks against Cameron in recent poll

The+governors+race+between+Beshear+and+Cameron+heats+up%2C+as+recent+polls+indicate+close+election.+
Samantha VanHorn and courtesy of Cameron’s Instagram
The governor’s race between Beshear and Cameron heats up, as recent polls indicate close election.

The Kentucky gubernatorial election is Tuesday, Nov. 7, and recent polls show Governor Andy Beshear and Attorney General Daniel Cameron are in a close race.

A recent poll from Emerson College showed the candidates tied at 47%, with 4% still undecided.

Beshear won the governor’s race in 2019. Before that, he served as Kentucky Attorney General from 2015 until he was elected governor. Beshear won the previous election against his opponent, Matt Bevin, by just a few points. 

Some of the laws Beshear supported as governor included his Better Kentucky Plan. The post-pandemic plan was a set of bills that allocated federal funds to building projects and improving the state’s economy, schools, and infrastructure.

Some of the laws Cameron has supported in the past include the Human Life Protection Act, which bars abortions in most circumstances. Cameron has also said he supports lowering income tax, limiting gun control, bettering education, and supporting law enforcement, according to his website.  

Lukas Ramey, a sophomore political science and pre-law major, is a field organizer for the Republican Party of Kentucky. Ramey said there is much support for Cameron in western Kentucky. 

“Daniel Cameron appeals strongly to Republican voters and some independents that are unhappy with Beshear’s performance while in office or his ties [to] and endorsement [of] President Biden,” Ramey said. “We remain confident in Daniel Cameron and our fellow Kentuckians that, with a strong voter turnout, he will be able to take the governor’s seat.”

With the polls showing the candidates so close, the two have been campaigning across Kentucky. Cameron and Beshear both have gone on bus tours across the state, with both of them stopping at Murray earlier this week. 

To stay informed about the upcoming election, visit the candidates’ websites to find more information about their position on key issues. Voting will take place from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Nov. 7.  To see a list of polling locations in the county, visit elect.ky.gov