Lounge to support Murray State first-generation students

The+First-Gen+Thrive+lounge+is+a+space+designed+for+Murray+States+first-generation+students.+
Jill Smith
The First-Gen Thrive lounge is a space designed for Murray State’s first-generation students.

With 42% of Murray State undergraduates being first-generation students, the University plans to help them thrive rather than simply survive through the First-Gen Thrive celebration.

The Center for Student Engagement and Success is showing support for first-generation students, faculty and staff at the annual celebration for first-gen students.

There will be a ribbon cutting ceremony at this celebration to publicize the new First-Gen Thrive lounge in the Lowry Center. 

Peggy Whaley, director of the Center for Student Engagement and Success said the lounge was inspired by hearing many first-generation students describe their first year of college as simply surviving.

“Ultimately, these students should have the support and resources to thrive, not simply survive,” she said. “The purpose of the lounge is to create space that supports students and their needs.”

Whaley said having a space for studying and relaxing is important for all college students, but the Thrive lounge may be more significant for the first-generation students as they face their own individual challenges.

“The lounge will provide students with a designated space to minimize distractions, increase productivity, support overall well-being and give students a sense of ownership over their academic journey,” she said.

An annual celebration of first-gen students is held to engage with faculty and staff, and helps the Center assess students’ needs during their time at Murray State.

“The celebration shines a light on our first-generation students,” said Jennifer Smith, assistant director of the Center for Student Engagement and Success. “[It] helps inform the campus community of the opportunities and resources for not only first-generation students, but all students.”

Smith said the celebration was funded by the First Generation College Celebration grant this year.

“[The] grant is awarded to institutions to help fund First-Gen Celebrations,” Smith said. “[It] is sponsored by the Center… the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators and the Suder Foundation.”

At this year’s celebration, the Travis and Kelly First-Generation Student Scholarship recipient will be announced and recognized for GPA of 3.5 or higher, as well as their leadership and involvement on campus.

“The celebration shines a light on our first-generation students,” Smith said. “42% percent of our undergraduate student body is first-gen, and the celebration helps inform the campus community of the opportunities and resources for not only first-generation students but all students.”

The celebration will be held Nov. 8 at 4:00 in 2C Lowry Center. If planning to attend the event, you are encouraged to RSVP via the QR code or https://bit.ly/3rL1sNQ.