Clarke poses for graduation pictures with his dog.
Non-traditional students diversify campus
Madison Miller, Contributing Writer • May 2, 2024

Murray State is a campus of diverse individuals from various cultural, situational and socioeconomic backgrounds. For soon-to-be Murray State...

Tucker stands with their PowerPoint Presentation after their history capstone presentation.
Student shares inspiration behind project
Makayla Mckinzie, Contributing Writer • May 2, 2024

A Murray State student used self-discovery as the foundation for their capstone project, “Transcending The Lens.”  Taylor Tucker, a senior...

Alumnus creates Racer One artwork for Golden Reunion

One+of+the+two+art+pieces+commissioned+for+the+Golden+Reunion.+Photo+by+Andrew+Grassman.+
One of the two art pieces commissioned for the Golden Reunion. Photo by Andrew Grassman.

As Homecoming draws near, past and present University students are drumming up school spirit. Among the excited Racer family is alumnus Andrew Grassman, who drew two portraits of Racer One on commission from the Alumni Association. 

Grassman studied organizational communication at Murray State from 2005 to 2010. During his time on campus, he was a member of the cheerleading team and Alpha Sigma Phi. He served as a student ambassador, showing prospective students around campus. In 2008, he was named Mr. MSU and Homecoming King. 

“My time at Murray State was filled with memorable experiences and opportunities that shaped me into who I am today,” Grassman said. “I learned more about teamwork and dedication… the importance of community… and lifelong friendships. Those will remain cherished memories for me for a long time.”

Grassman’s passion for drawing began in his childhood. His art was a casual pastime, but he impressed himself when he recently started drawing again. When he began posting his work on Facebook, he received requests to draw people’s pets and loved ones. 

His art caught the attention of Carrie McGinnis, director of alumni relations. McGinnis reached out for a Racer One commission as a gift for the upcoming Golden Reunion for the Class of 1973. 

Grassman said he was honored to draw the University’s iconic mascot in celebration of the 50-year alumni. The initial piece depicted Racer One in the Quad with Pogue Library prominently showcased in the background. The second shows the horse and jockey galloping in front of a bold blue and yellow “M” with the University gates on either side. Grassman said he drew this piece to make the horse look more alive. 

The Alumni Association’s mission is to keep past students connected and involved in the community the University fosters. It is because of the Alumni Association that former students like Grassman can still proudly call themselves part of the Racer family. 

“[Murray State] will always hold a special place in my heart,” Grassman said. “It’s where I honed in my skills and started lasting relationships. I would say I received an exceptional education, but it’s also where I discovered passions. It’s funny, you graduate from Murray, but your spirit, your mind’s always there.”