Youngblood stresses fire safety at Tent City

Red+bins+will+be+placed+around+Tent+City+for+people+to+dispose+of+their+hot+coals.+++
Photo courtesy of Jason Youngblood
Red bins will be placed around Tent City for people to dispose of their hot coals.

Alumni who plan to tailgate on Saturday should be on the lookout for bins to dispose of their items. 

Murray State has updated the look of the hot coal containers that will be present at Tent City this year. The new containers will be painted bright red and include a warning: “no trash, hot coals only.” This change is meant to help reduce fire risks from people dumping their hot coals in the incorrect spot.

Jason Youngblood, director of facilities management, said Facilities Management has had hot coal containers for five years. However, the cans’ new color  makes it more obvious where people should dump their hot coals, preventing trash fires in the plastic bins.

“In the past, those tailgating and cooking with charcoal grills were dumping their hot coals in with the trash,” Youngblood said. “We had a few trash can fires, and a plastic container made a melted mess. The red containers are clearly marked ‘Hot Coals Only’ for that purpose.” 

Tent City will include other fire safety measures, such as fire extinguishers at tents for people planning to cook.