Cabaret the musical is to be performed from April 25-28.
'Cabaret' musical offers glimpse into 1920s Berlin
MacKenzie Rogers, Lifestyle Editor • April 26, 2024

The department of global languages and theatre arts and the department of music teamed up together to present the musical “Cabaret” from...

VIDEO: Lovett Live returns after pandemic absence
Rebeca Mertins Chiodini, Photography Editor • April 26, 2024

In the pre-COVID era, music business students at Murray State University produced and hosted Lovett Live, a night of music in the historic auditorium...

Beshear announces $18K to fund police equipment at Murray State

Gov.+Andy+Beshear+%28center%29+presents+interim+police+chief+Ryan+Orr+%28left%29+with+a+check+to+benefit+the+University+Police+Department.+%28Jill+Smith%2FThe+News%29+
Gov. Andy Beshear (center) presents interim police chief Ryan Orr (left) with a check to benefit the University Police Department. (Jill Smith/The News)

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear presented over $18,000 to University interim police chief Ryan Orr, on Friday during a visit to the University.

The award provides equipment like body armor, duty weapons, ammunition and more to officers and service animals, according to the Kentucky Homeland Security.

This award comes from the state’s Law Enforcement Protection program, which is under the Kentucky Office of Homeland Security (KOHS). 

In addition, Beshear also presented awards to organizations in Calloway County.

The Murray Art Guild received a $750,000 community development block grant. 

“The old building will be replaced with a state of the art facility complete with community studios, individual artists spaces, a new retail space and a gallery with exhibitions,” Beshear said. 

Beshear awarded over $460,000 to nonprofit organizations in Calloway County:

• Watch Inc: $100,000
  • Murray Calloway County Needline: $100,000
  • Neartown: $84,192
  • Murray Main Street and Murray Downtown Farmers Market: $64,154,24
  • Court Appointed Special Advocates of Calloway and Marshall (CASA): $50,450.95
  • St. Leo’s Parish of Murray: $37,026.02
  • Murray Calloway County Community Theatre Arts: $14,510
  • Serenity Recovery of Western Kentucky: $7,938.73
  • Salvation Army of Calloway County: $2,112.73

This award came from a $75 million nonprofit assistance program, which began as a result of COVID-19. 

Beshear also awarded funds to Trigg County organizations. 

Cadiz received $427,066 to replace sewer lines, which will benefit students and families living in the area, according to a press release from the Office of Gov. Beshear. 

The Barkley Lake Water District received $427,065 to build a new sludge storage lagoon at the water treatment plant. 

Both awards are funded by the Cleaner Water Program, a grant that provides clean drinking water and improves water systems for households across the state, according to ky.gov. 

Beshear said he wants to ensure new jobs and opportunities can reach every part of Kentucky and that investment is important. 

State Rep. Mary Beth Imes (R-Murray) said she is excited to see how these awards will improve the community. 

“It is crucial that we continue to fund things like the Nonprofit Assistance Fund, the Cleaner Water Program and the Law Enforcement Protection Program,” Imes said. “Each of these funds ensure essential parts of our communities are safe and accessible. They also help to improve the lives of those within our community  through a strong economy, safe drinking water and safe roads.”

View Comments (1)