Students share resources for trans youth

The Murray State Planned Parenthood Generation Action Chapter hosts a rally on Tuesday, April 11 to inform the campus of ways to support Trans Youth in Kentucky. (Dionte Berry/ The News)

Dionte Berry, Editor-in-Chief

Across the nation anti-trans legislation, including Kentucky Senate Bill 150, have led to a number of protests around the state following the end of Kentucky’s 2023 legislative session.

Along with other Kentuckians, students at Murray State are making their voices heard regarding the harm the bill will perpetuate. 

SB 150 has received national attention from organizations such as the Human Rights Campaign who said the bill is a “shameful mean-spirited bill designed to make LGBTQ+ students feel isolated.” The bill intends to prevent transgender individuals under the age of 18 from accessing any form of gender-affirming care. 

Locally, members of Murray State’s Planned Parenthood Generations Action chapter hosted a rally on Tuesday, April 11, to spread awareness and raise money for trans youth. 

Chapter President Julian Lamson said they want people to be aware of what is happening but more importantly, for Murray State administration to express how they are feeling. 

“We’re trying to get Murray State to acknowledge what is going on because thus far, Murray State has yet to actually acknowledge the actual SB 150 passing,” Lamson said. “And it does concern Murray State University, whether they like it or not… We are a school with minors [attending]. …It’s important for Murray State to acknowledge that they have their trans students’ backs and that they are protected.”

Lamson said they found it important to share there is a community at Murray State that is accepting and respectful to trans identities.

“I want trans youth to know that people at Murray State do not stand with [or] support these laws and will always respect children’s pronouns and respect their preferred names,” Lamson said. 

To show their support to trans Kentucky youth, Lamson and the Planned Parenthood chapter shared information so people can donate to the Southern Trans Youth Emergency Fund. The campaign aids individuals and families who are in areas where gender-affirming care is inaccessible. 

Donations can be made at southernequality.org. 

The fund will help those who need access to gender-affirming care by providing impacted families with navigation resources and grants. 

Chapter Treasurer Katherine Stark believes people should have the ability to express themselves, which includes gender expression.

“I’m a firm believer in that we should just let people live how they want to, and it shouldn’t matter to anyone—or to the government—about how someone identifies or lives their life,” Stark said.

At the end of the day, Stark wants to help ensure Murray State is home to a trans-supportive community.

“I’m hoping that we can influence people to support or make people aware of the legislation that’s being passed, as well as provide a safe environment for people who are trans and LGBTQ at Murray State, and that they have people that support them,” Stark said.

Despite SB 150 being overridden, Lamson doesn’t see this as a time to stay silent.

“We are here for the students,” Lamson said. “We are here for the community to reach out and be able to use their voices because even though the legislation has gone ahead and passed, your voice still matters.”