News Brief: Nurse practitioner joins on campus medical clinic

Murray State Health Services is located in the first Floor of Wells Hall. (Dionte Berry/The News)

Caroline Blakeman, Contributing Writer

Janna French, a family nurse practitioner, joined the medical team during February at the on-campus Village Medical clinic.

French began working on campus Feb. 27, focusing on family medicine.

“I love taking care of people, and they needed someone here at Murray State to be here more consistently,” French said.

French previously worked for Primary Care Clinic before it became Village Medical. 

After working in orthopedics in Paris, Tennessee, she came back to Village Medical, which led her to the campus NP position.

“Taking care of people is the passion,” French said. “And remember that we are on a college campus. And there are things that this population is more susceptible to or more exposed to than other people that we would see off campus.”

French said she wants to highlight that all kinds of STD testing is available to students.

She also said the clinic is working closely with the Counseling Center for mental health services.

An office visit on campus is $65 for students. 

Village Medical offers this same price at their main location off-campus if students present their Racercard.

French said she remembers being a college student and not knowing what to do when feeling sick, which fueled her passion for the medical field.

“I didn’t know I was supposed to talk about pap smears and STD testing at a certain age,” French said. “So I’m excited to be on the college campus because I think that trying to educate our college students about overall health in general is important.”

She said it is important for students to be able to make their own appointments and have adult conversations once they graduate. She hopes to educate students and make them more prepared.

“I’m eager to do that and be available more during the day,” French said. “So I’m happy to fill that role and try to offer the best care to our students, faculty and staff—anyone who needs it.”

The clinic is located on the 1st floor of Wells Hall. Walk-in appointments are available, or appointments can be scheduled by contacting Health Services at [email protected].