Trio nabs six runs en route to softball win

Senior right-handed pitcher Hannah James gets one of her five strikeouts against the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders on Tuesday, April 4. Photo by Rebeca Mertins Chiodini/The News.

Ronan Summers, Staff Writer

Three Racer batters recorded two runs each to make up all of Murray State’s runs in its 6-3 win over the Middle Tennessee State University Blue Raiders on Tuesday, April 4. 

Junior catcher Taylor Jackson got the game started at the top of the first inning, as she singled up the middle to drive home senior infielder Gracie Osbron and sophomore outfielder Erin Lackey. The Racers added onto their lead after senior infielder Lindsey Carroll hit a double to allow junior infielder Lily Fischer to score. 

The Racers had a 3-0 lead going into the bottom of the first inning, but the Blue Raiders were able to even things out. Freshman right-handed pitcher Bre Haislip got the start for the Racers, but she didn’t stay on the mound for long. Junior outfielder Amaya Harris got on first base after a Murray State error. Junior infielder Shelby Echols scored on the play, recorded as an unearned run for Haislip. 

Sophomore infielder Claire Czajkowski then singled to bring Harris home. This set up junior outfielder Shelby Sargent to tie the game up at three runs apiece after a single that allowed Czajkowski to round third and score. Haislip was relieved, and Murray State brought in senior right-handed pitcher Hannah James to finish the inning out. The score was 3-3 after the first inning.

Lackey reached first base on an error in the top of the second inning, and she advanced to second base on the throw. Lackey reached third base on a fly out, putting her in position to tag up at third base and score after Osbron flew out to left field. 

Osbron started off the top of the fifth inning with a double. Fischer helped add onto the Murray State lead after hitting a single to drive Osbron home in the next at-bat. Carroll singled to drive Fischer in to give the Racers a 6-3 lead. 

Junior pitcher Jenna Veber was brought in at the bottom of the fifth inning to relieve James and close out the game. She did not allow a run for the rest of the game, and the Racers won the game 6-3. 

James received the win while Veber got the save. The Murray State pitchers allowed seven hits, three runs, no earned runs and two walks, while striking out eight Blue Raiders. 

Lackey did not record a hit, but she drew a walk and accounted for two of the Racers’ six runs in the win. Osbron finished with a walk, a hit, an RBI and two runs. Fischer totaled a hit, two runs and an RBI. Carroll and Jackson had two hits and two RBIs each, while freshman outfielder Jadyn Thompson recorded a hit.

The Racers’ record improved to 22-14 after the win over Middle Tennessee State, and they currently sit in sixth place in the MVC with a 6-4 conference record. 

Murray State will host the Valparaiso Beacons Friday, April 7 to Sunday, April 9.

The first game of the weekend series is set for 5 p.m. on Friday. The second game is set for 2 p.m. on Saturday, April 8, and the final gameis set fornoon on Sunday.