Women’s basketball falls in double OT

Junior forward Katelyn Young scored 34 points in the Racers double overtime loss against Missouri State. Photo courtesy of David Eaton/Racer Athletics.

Ronan Summers, Staff Writer

The Murray State Racers took the No. 3 team in the MVC to the limit on Friday, Feb. 17, as they narrowly lost to the Missouri State Bears 92-86.

Despite a 34-point game from junior forward Katelyn Young, the Racers dropped another conference game. Murray State has felt the increase in intensity this season after the team’s switch from the OVC, going 5-10 against conference opponents. 

Although the Racers have struggled as of late, they have still been able to put points on the board, and Friday’s contest was no different. Both teams were able to score at will—so much so the game needed two extra periods to determine a winner. 

Murray State started the first quarter hot during the Friday night matchup against the Bears. Young got the Racers rolling by converting on a jump shot amid a fastbreak.

Young’s jumpshot led to a Racers’ run, as freshman guard Briley Pena followed up with a 3-pointer. The Bears responded with a 3-pointer, but Murray State junior forward Hannah McKay came back with a 3-pointer of her own.

Redshirt senior guard Macey Turley joined in on the long-range fun, hitting a 3-pointer to put the Racers ahead 15-10. The Bears were able to get on the board once more before the first quarter was over, to end the period 15-13 in favor of Murray State.

Momentum began to shift Missouri State’s way in the second quarter, as the team shot 11-17 (64.7%) in the 10-minute period. This offensive hot streak for the Bears gave them a 39-32 lead going into halftime. 

Murray State retook the lead after a strong start to the second half. Turley had the first points of the third quarter after making both of her attempted free throws. Missouri State responded with a layup, but Young answered right back with a layup. 

Turley made another 3-pointer to narrow Missouri State’s lead to 2. The Bears extended the lead back to 3 points before Young scored on back-to-back layups to give the Racers a 1-point lead. This lead only lasted 22 seconds, though, as Missouri State retook the lead and did not give it up for the rest of the third quarter.

With six minutes left in the fourth quarter, the Racers were down 8 points. Murray State began to turn up the heat when it mattered most, though, with Young starting a run with a layup for the Racers. Turley followed Young’s layup with another 3-pointer and redshirt senior forward Alexis Burpo continued the offensive pressure with a layup. 

Missouri State retaliated with a 3-pointer, but Young responded with one of her own. The Bears made a layup to extend their lead back to 3 points. Turley cut the lead to 1 after making a jumper, and Burpo made the game-tying free throw to send the game to overtime. The score was 73-73 after the end of regulation. 

Turley gave the Racers a 1-point lead with 1:21 left in the game after making both of her free throws. Young made a layup with 0:34 left to push the lead to 3 points before the Bears tied the game back up with a 3-pointer. Missouri State’s made 3-pointer tied the game at 80 apiece and sent the game into a second overtime. 

Murray State was outscored 12-6 to close out the final period, and Missouri State ultimately won the matchup 92-86. 

As a team, the Racers shot 32-72 (44.4%) from the field and 12-29 (41.4%) from behind the arc. Murray State corralled a total of 44 rebounds, while generating seven steals. The Racers had 28 points in the paint, 26 bench points and 12 points off turnovers. 

Young led the Racers in scoring with 34 points. She also had 10 rebounds, two steals, an assist and a block.. Turley totaled 19 points, six rebounds, three steals and an assist. McKay finished with 15 points going 5-9 from behind the arc, nine rebounds and two assists. Sophomore guard Cayson Conner had eight rebounds, four assists and two steals. 

The Racers’ next game comes against the SIU Salukis. The Salukis are 9-14 overall this season but 6-8 against conference opponents, placing them a seed ahead of Murray State. The two teams play at 5 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 19 in Carbondale, Illinois.