Turley etches name in Racer record book

Senior guard Macey Turley breaks the record for most double-digit point games in program history in the Racers’ loss to Ilinois State on Sunday, Feb. 5. Photo by Rebeca Mertins Chiodini/The News.

Ronan Summers, Staff Writer

Murray State senior guard  Macey Turley is now the leader in double-digit scoring  in Murray State women’s basketball history after scoring 10 points in the first quarters against Illinois State.

Despite the historic weekend for Turley, the Racers struggles continued as they dropped both games, extending their losing streak to six.

This losing streak has dropped the Racers down to ninth place in the MVC. Murray State has struggled on the road this season with a 4-7 visiting record. They are also 4-8 against conference opponents this year. 

After the recent pair of losses the team has suffered, the Racers are now 11-10 on the season. 

vs. Belmont

The Racers fell to the Belmont Bruins 64-54 on Thursday, Feb. 2. The Bruins currently sit in fourth place in the conference with a 13-10 overall record and a 9-3 record against MVC opponents. 

Belmont’s junior forward Madison Bartley led the way for the Bruins, scoring 19 points. Bartley had five rebounds, three assists and two blocks. 

The Bruins shot for 39.7% from the field (23-58) and scored at will in the interior, with 30 of their 64 points from the paint. 

Turley led the Racers in scoring,  finishing with 18 points. She had three rebounds and three steals. Junior forward Katelyn Young had 15 points, 15 rebounds, three assists and a steal. Junior forward Hannah McKay put up 11 points, nine rebounds and two assists. Redshirt senior forward Alexis Burpo had 7 points, two rebounds and an assist. 

Murray State shot 28.8% (19-66) from the field in the matchup against Belmont. The Racers scored 18 points in the paint, 14 second-chance points and 8 points off turnovers.

Because the Racers had beaten the Bruins earlier this season, the season series is now tied 1-1.

vs. Illinois State

The Racers then traveled to Normal, Illinois to compete against the current No. 1 team in the MVC, the Illinois State Redbirds. Murray State lost the matchup 79-73 after getting into foul trouble early on in the game.

Graduate student guard Paige Robinson led the Redbirds in scoring with 24 points. She had five rebounds, three assists and two blocks. The Redbirds shot 48.5% in the game (33-68) and scored 48 of their points in the paint. 

Turley led the Racers in scoring against Illinois State, scoring 22 points while putting up four rebounds and an assist. Young finished with 13 points, six rebounds and two assists. McKay had 8 points, 10 rebounds and two assists. Junior guard Bria Sanders-Woods finished with 3 points, six assists and two rebounds. Freshman guard Briley Pena had 12 points and an assist off the bench.

The Racers shot 40.9% from the field (27-66) in the loss. Murray State’s bench helped the team stay in the mix despite getting into foul trouble as Racer bench players combined for 23 points. Murray State starters combined for 13 fouls as the team committed 24 total.

This game was the first meeting between the two teams this season. They are not scheduled to play again during the regular season but could find themselves going toe to toe during the MVC Tournament. 

Although the Racers are on a six-game losing streak, they will still have an opportunity to make some noise in the conference tournament. All 12 teams within the conference will be in the tournament, so sitting in ninth place is not the end of the world. If the Racers continue their losing streak, however, they will almost be guaranteed to face off against a top seed. 

The Racers’ road trip is finally over, and they will play a home game for the first time since Jan. 22 this week. Murray State will host the Indiana State Sycamores at 6 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 10.