Soccer advances to MVC Semifinals

The team celebrates after advancing to the MVC semifinals. Photo courtesy of David Eaton/Racer Athletics.

Ronan Summers, Staff Writer

Despite struggling during the regular season, the Murray State soccer team flipped the switch once postseason play began, winning the first two rounds of the MVC Tournament. 

The Racers were the eighth seed as they entered the postseason.  They had an overall record of 6-11-3 and a conference record of 3-5-2 during the regular season. The pair of wins from the weekend set the Racers up to play against the first seed Valparaiso Beacons in the semifinals. 

vs. Drake

The Racers first competed against the Drake University Bulldogs on Thursday, Oct. 27 in Carbondale, Illinois. It was a low-scoring affair, as only one goal was scored in 90 minutes of gameplay.

The lone goal of the matchup came off the foot of Murray State’s sophomore defender Morgan Bodker. The goal was scored in the 75th minute and was assisted by senior midfielder Grace Bodker. The goal gave Morgan Bodker three goals on the season.

Murray State committed 10 fouls to Drake’s three. The Bulldogs had more corner kicks in the matchup, with six to the Racers’ three. The Racers attempted 11 shots throughout the game, three  on goal. The Bulldogs attempted four shots, but only one was able to get on target. 

Senior goalie Jamie Skarupsky got the start for the Racers. She had one save and no goals in the 90 minutes played. Senior defender Saraya Young attempted four shots, and senior midfielder Lauren Payne attempted three. Morgan Bodker had two shot attempts in the game.  Both were on goal, and one of them went in the net. 

vs. SIU

After defeating the Drake Bulldogs, the Racers traveled back to Carbondale, Illinois on Sunday, Oct. 30 to compete against fourth seed SIU Salukis. 

The first goal of the matchup did not come until the 31st minute when Southern Illinois senior midfielder Kaitlin DuCharme scored, thanks to an assist by graduate midfielder Lara Barbieri de Silva.

The Racers were able to answer in the 79th minute when freshman midfielder Mary Hardy tied the game at 1 apiece. This was Hardy’s fourth goal of the season. The goal was assisted by junior defender Camille Barber.

The game was taken to overtime, as neither team was able to score before time had expired. With 50 seconds left in the second slate of overtime,  Young received a pass from Hardy. Young proceeded to go down the field and score, allowing the Racers to advance onto the next round. 

The Racers had five shots on goal to the Salukis’ four. There were 25 fouls committed in the matchup, 13 by Murray State and 12 by SIU. Both teams finished the game with three saves. 

Young had five shot attempts, two of them on target. Barber and junior midfielder Audrey Henry had two shot attempts in the game, and both had one shot on target. Skarupsky played all 110 minutes of the matchup; she saved three goals and allowed one. 

The Racers will play in the semifinals of the MVC Tournament against the first seed Valparaiso Beacons at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 3 in Valparaiso, Indiana.