Soccer loses close game at home

Senior defender Saraya Young (right) scored the Racers’ only goal on Sunday, Oct. 16. Photo courtesy of David Eaton/Racer Athletics.

Ronan Summers, Staff Writer

The women’s soccer team currently sit in sixth place in the MVC with a conference record of 3-3-2 and an overall record of 4-9-3 after falling to the Valparaiso University Beacons at home by a score of 2-1 on Sunday, Oct. 16.

With two games left in the regular season, the Racers are likely headed to the MVC Tournament. The tournament starts on Thursday, Oct. 27, and the top eight teams within the conference will have a shot at the championship.

The Racers’ next two opponents are the University of Northern Iowa and Drake University. UNI is the eighth seed, and Drake University is currently the seventh seed—meaning a win is just as valuable to these teams as it is to the Racers. Expect intense play over the coming weekend.

The Racers struck first in the 19th minute when senior defender Saraya Young hit the back of the net thanks to a pass from junior midfielder Hailey Cole. This was Young’s third goal of the season.

The Beacons retaliated in the 27th minute as sophomore forward Addy Joiner scored off of a corner kick. The goal was assisted by senior midfielder Allie Anderson. The game was tied going into halftime 1 apiece.

Valparaiso would score again in the 50th minute when sophomore defender Abby White gave her team the lead 2-1. Junior forward Lindsey DuSatko was credited with the assist on White’s goal. 

Valparaiso finished with six corner kicks and 10 fouls. The team attempted eight shots, five of which were on target. 

The Racers were accurate when attempting to score, as 8 of their 10 shots were on goal. The Racers finished with 12 corner kicks and 10 fouls. They also saved three shots in the matchup.

Freshman midfielder Tori Schrimpf attempted three shots, all of which were on goal but saved. Senior midfielder Lauren Payne and freshman forward Sydney Etter both finished the matchup with two shots taken on goal. 

Young finished with the Racers’ only goal of the game. She currently leads the MVC in assists with seven and points with 13. She has had a standout offensive year as a defender.

Senior goalie Jenna Villacres played one half of the game and saved two goals. Senior goalie Jamie Skarupsky played the other half and saved one goal. Both goalies allowed one goal each.

The Racers will travel to play the Drake University Bulldogs at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 23 in Des Moines, Iowa.