Soccer dominates ISU at Cutchin FIeld

Freshman forward Sydney Etter scores a hat trick in the Racers’ win on Sunday, Oct. 9. Photo courtesy of David Eaton/Racer Athletics.

Ronan Summers, Staff Writer

The Racers dominated on Sunday, Oct. 9 as they defeated the Illinois State Redbirds 7-3 in a big conference win.

Two members of the Murray State soccer team were recognized for their success during the game. 

Senior defender Saraya Young was awarded MVC Offensive Player of the Week after scoring one goal and earning three assists in the matchup against Illinois State.

Freshman  forward Sydney Etter was awarded MVC Freshman Player of the Week after her performance against Illinois State as she scored three goals on five shot attempts.

Etter started the scoring onslaught early for Murray State as she scored her first goal of the matchup in the eighth minute after stealing the ball from a Redbird to give the Racers a 1-0 lead.

Etter struck again in the 13th minute, putting the ball into the top right corner, thanks to an assist from Young. 

A long pass by freshman defender Megan Wilson set up Young to score and put the Racers up 3-0. 

Illinois State’s junior forward Haley Glover scored the Redbirds’ first goal in the 24th minute, giving the Redbirds hope they’ll stay alive. 

Senior midfielder Katharine Ashley helped the Redbirds inch closer after she scored a penalty kick in the 35th minute to make the score 3-2 in favor of Murray State.

The Racers closed the first half of the game strong as freshman midfielder Mary Hardy scored in the 40th minute to give the Racers a 4-2 lead going into halftime. Hardy’s goal was assisted by Young and Wilson.

Redbirds’ senior midfielder Katherine Fulton brought Illinois State back within one score in the 50th minute 4-3.

The Racers began to run away with the game in the 68th minute as Racers’ senior midfielder Lauren Payne continued Murray State’s scoring spree, bending the ball around the goalie to increase her team’s lead 5-3. 

Etter earned her third goal of the matchup to complete the hat trick in the 75th minute. Young added another assist to her stat line on the goal. 

The Racers put the game even further out of reach in the 82nd minute when senior midfielder Grace Bodker set up senior midfielder Parker Greer for the Racers’ last goal to make the final score 7-3.

Illinois State shot the ball seven times with five of those shots being on goal. The Redbirds finished the matchup with four saves, four corner kicks and 10 fouls. 

Murray State took 15 total shots and 11 of them were on goal. The Racers had seven corner kicks and committed 12 fouls. Senior goalie Jenna Villacres saved two shots on target, both of the Racers’ saves.

Etter finished with three goals on five shots. Young totaled three assists and a goal on three shot attempts. Hardy, Payne and Greer finished with one goal each. Wilson had two assists.  Bodker and Henry had one assist each.

The Racers are now 4-7-3 on the season and 3-1-2 against conference opponents. Although Murray State is climbing the conference standings, Racers Head Coach Matt Lodge isn’t thinking too far ahead into the future. 

“We’ve just got to take care of one game at a time,” said Lodge in an interview with Racer Athletics. 

The Racers will continue their conference play and host the Valparaiso University Beacons at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 16 on Cutchin Field.