Soccer unable to score against Oklahoma

Senior goalkeeper Jenna Villacres saved 12 shots on goal in the Racers’ loss to Oklahoma. Photo courtesy of David Eaton/Racer Athletics.

Ronan Summers, Contributing Writer

The Murray State soccer team hosted Oklahoma University on Sunday, Sept. 18 and lost the matchup 2-0. 

The first goal of the game came in the 23rd minute from Oklahoma’s freshman midfielder Michelle Pak, giving the Sooners a 1-0 lead. The goal was assisted by freshman forward Alexis Washington. 

Murray State senior goalie Jenna Villacres had her hands full in the first half. She saved six of Oklahoma’s first half shot attempts. 

Oklahoma scored once more, making the score 2-0. The goal came in the 68th minute after senior forward Emma Hawkins was able to put the ball into the back of the net. Pak earned an assist on the goal. 

Villacres saved another six shots in the second half and finished the matchup saving 12 of Oklahoma’s 14 shots on goal. The Racers ended up attempting six shots, none of which were on goal. 

Junior defender Camille Barber, senior defender Saraya Young, freshman forward Sydney Etter and senior Marti Floyd each had one shot attempt in the loss. Freshman defender Megan Wilson had two shot attempts off the bench.

The Racers had one corner kick compared to the Sooners’ seven. Murray State committed nine fouls to Oklahoma’s 13.

This Racers loss puts them at 1-6-1 on the season as they enter conference play. Murray State will kick off their MVC play by hosting Belmont University at 3 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 22 at Cutchin Field. 

Murray State will then travel to the University of Evansville to play at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 25.