News Brief: Pride Center finds new home

Jillian Smith, Staff Writer

The Pride Center relocated its office to room N101 Oakley Applied Science to provide students with more space and better accessibility.

“The number of students visiting the Pride Center and spending time in our space has been growing, and we needed a larger space to accommodate that,” said Director Abigail Cox. 

Cox said she identified the relocation as a need when she began her role as director of the Pride Center. 

The new space will provide students with an area to work on homework, study or lounge. Student organizations will also have an area in the center to meet while the Curris Center undergoes renovations. 

The center will now be located near other campus resources, including Career Services, the Women’s Center and the University Counseling Services. Cox said she hopes to maximize relationships by partnering with these resources more often to provide students with support and important information. 

With a larger and more accommodating space, Cox said she is hopeful the more convenient location will bring more students to the Pride Center.  

“The move is just as much about the students we are already connected with as it is about new students,” Cox said. “They have so much enthusiasm for the community they have created with one another, and they needed a space that was capable of growing with them.”