Alpha Gam declared winners after miscalculation

Alpha+Gamma+Delta+celebrates+their+best+costume+win.+They+were+later+declared+grand+champions+after+a+miscalculation.+
Samantha VanHorn
Alpha Gamma Delta celebrates their “best costume” win. They were later declared grand champions after a miscalculation.

A miscalculation resulted in Alpha Gamma Delta being named as the grand champion and spirit award winner for the 66th annual All Campus Sing.

According to an email sent late Wednesday night to All Campus Sing participants, Sigma Alpha Iota said a miscalculation error in Google Sheets resulted in changing the spirit award and the overall scores. Alpha Gamma Delta won the spirit award, followed by Sigma Sigma Sigma and Alpha Omicron Pi. After a review, Alpha Gamma Delta was awarded the grand champion award.

“We want to sincerely apologize to both organizations for this, and we want to ensure that this doesn’t happen again,” the email said. “Know that we are currently working with our faculty adviser, Dr. (Ashley) Shoupe, to improve our methods and prevent this type of situation from happening in the future. With all that said, we are encouraged by the amount of money these organizations have raised for students in the area and again for helping us make ACS history.”

Shoupe confirmed this information to The News, saying Alpha Gam is the winner, but the other scores were not affected.

The event raised more than $19,000 for music programs in the area. ACS,  a Murray State tradition hosted by the Sigma Alpha Iota Fraternity, raises money to donate instruments or supplies to educational music programs. Organizations compete to raise the most funds and to present the most seamless performance.

Gena Parker, chair of the SAI ACS panel, said this year’s fundraising now sets the record for the highest amount raised at ACS.

Parker credited Murray State participants of ACS for their success in fundraising.

“We can’t raise this money unless you are here,” she said. “So thank you very much.”

Layla Turner, a SAI member, said implementing Change Wars’ new fundraising system assisted in raising an unexpected amount of money.

Performances throughout the afternoon consisted of a variety of music, from 80s tunes to jungle boogies. Alpha Sigma Alpha even incorporated the timeless “Dirty Dancing” lift into their “Lovebug” routine.

For the 2024 ACS, four different divisions comprised the lineup, including Independent, Sorority, Residential and Fraternity divisions. Winners were awarded titles for Best Choreography, Creativity, Spectators’ Choice, Spirit, Best Solo and Best Duo/Trio. Within each division, awards were given for overall placement.

Hester College won the residential division. The Honors College won first place for the independent division with their Schoolhouse Rock theme. Sigma Sigma Sigma composed a routine based on their theme, “What Time Is It?” and won first place for the sorority division by one point. The first place winner for the fraternity division was Alpha Tau Omega, whose performance was space-themed. Overall, Alpha Gamma Delta was declared the Grand Champion for ACS 2024.

Not only did Alpha Gamma Delta take home the trophy of Grand Champion, but they also won Best Costume and Spirit awards.

Turner said being a part of the event was a remarkable experience, and it is something she is thankful for.

Natalie Busch, an Alpha Sigma Alpha junior, said she is proud of her sorority sisters, who placed third in the Sorority Division, throughout the experience.

“I was very nervous, but I had confidence in all the preparation and work we had put into our performance,” she said. “I think we did well.”

Parker said ACS could not have happened without the support of organizations and departments hosting and providing services for the event.