Tennis splits over the weekend to stay .500

Freshman Sarah Bureau takes swing to return the ball during a weekend of conference competition. (Photo courtesy of Dan Hasko/Racer Athletics)

Andrea Jameson

Contributing Writer

The Murray State women’s Tennis team competed in a two-day tournament against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville on Friday, April 9, and Saturday, April 10, against Eastern Illinois University. With a win (4-3), against SIUE, the Racers found themselves on the losing end of the same score against EIU, splitting the tournament to maintain their .500 season so far.  

SIUE 

Freshman Sarah Bureau and senior Sara Loncarevic took a doubles loss of 6-4, while senior Stasya Sharapova and sophomore Marit Kreugel took charge with a 7-5 win for the racers. 

The deciding win for the doubles point was from senior Anja Loncarevic and freshman Gabrielle Geolier, who dominated their tournament with a score of (6-4). 

Sara Loncarevic lost against her opponent in singles with scores of 6-1, 6-1 as Sharapova dominated her court with a two-set win of 6-1, 6-3 for one of her last home game wins. 

Bureau went for the long stretch, going three sets with her opponent before securing another point for the Racers.  

Geolier dominated with a blow-out score of 6-0, 6-0 for the Racers. 

EIU

On Saturday, the Racers took a fall against Eastern Illinois by one point.

Bureau and Sara Loncarevic lost their doubles match with a score of 6-4, while Sharapova and Kreugel defeated their opponents with a 6-4 win. Anja Loncarevic and Geolier took a loss with a score of 3-6 for the doubles team. 

Sara Loncarevic dropped her singles match in two sets with scores of 6-3, 7-5. Sharapova also lost her singles match 6-4, 7-6. 

Bureau won her match 6-4, 6-1. Kreugel also came out with a victory with scores of 6-2, 6-2. 

Anja Loncarevic went three rounds with her opponent on court five, as she was close during two sets with scores of (6-4,6-7,4-6) while  Geolier closed court six with an overtop score of (6-2,6-2). 

The Murray State women’s tennis team will compete on Friday, April 16, against Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, Tennessee, for an OVC competition.