Tennis falls to Austin Peay in OVC Tournament

Senior Anja Loncarevic makes a strong two-handed return during a set in the OVC Tournament match against Austin Peay. (Photo courtesy of Racer Athletics)

Andrea Jameson 

Contributing Writer 

On Saturday, April 24, the Murray State women’s tennis team’s season ended in a devastating 0-4 loss against Austin Peay State University in the OVC semifinal match at the Evansville Tennis Center.

The Racers struggled from the start in the doubles matches. Senior Stasya Sharapova and sophomore Marit Kreugel lost with a 2-6 score while freshman Sarah Bureau and senior Sara Loncarevic also lost 2-6, forcing senior Anja Loncarevic and freshman Gabrielle Geolier to end their match unfinished. 

Things started looking up for the Racers in singles play. Kruegel lost as she had an unfinished match with set scores of 6-1, 3-6, 0-3. Bureau was also unable to finish and ended her second match with scores of (5-7, 2-5) against the Governors. 

Anja Loncarevic struggled, losing 2-6, 0-6. Geolier also picked up a loss with scores of 2-6, 3-6 for a Governors’ win. 

While the loss brought the season to an end, Sara Loncarevic and Bureau found some silver lining after receiving All-OVC accolades on Friday, April 23. Loncarevic made the All-OVC First Team while Bureau made the second team.