Track competes in Bill Cornell Invite

Junior distance runner Emma Creviston competed in the steeplechase competition. (Photo courtesy of Racer Athletics)

Andrea Jameson 

Contributing Writer 

The Murray State women’s track and field team began their outdoor season with a two-day event as they traveled to Carbondale, Illinois, for the Bill Cornell Invite on Friday, March 19, and Saturday, March 20.

The Racers found some success in the event as Murray State had six top-ten performances and four Racers ranking in the top 20 for the East region. 

Head Coach Adam Kiesler gave his team credit for their performance as they started their 2021 outdoor season. Kiesler said it was exciting to finally see some of the outdoor events like the steeple, javelin, disc and 400 hurdles. 

Featured players of both event days include freshman Jasmine Claunch, who placed fourth with a distance of 11.39m in the trill jump. Claunch also placed 10th in the long jump with a distance of 5m. Sophomore Keyandra Mason placed fifth with a distance of 11.26m in the trill jump. Mason also recorded a distance of 4.88m as she placed 12th in the long jump. Junior Eleri Gesler placed sixth in the trill jump with a distance of 10.67m and placed 14th in the long jump with a distance of 4.74m. 

On March 20, sophomore Meghan Fletcher beat a personal record as she conquered the high jump with a mark of 1.73m for her fourth straight win. Fletcher also placed 11th in the javelin throw with a distance of 23.26m.

Also on March 20, junior Rachel Hagans placed first in the long jump event with a distance of 5.70m, and junior Joy Sparks competed in the javelin throw, placing third for Murray State and throwing a distance of 34.74m. Junior Brooke Misukonis placed third during the pole vault event with an interval of 3.65m. 

The Murray State women’s track and field team will compete on their home track, hosting the Margaret Simmons Invite for a two-day event on Friday, March 26, and Saturday, March 27.