New telehealth counseling option set for fall
Bri Hunter, Editor in Chief • May 14, 2024

The University is extending on-campus mental health services for the next academic year through a company called TimelyCare.  TimelyCare...

PHOTOS: Baseball sweeps Valpo in last home series
Rebeca Mertins Chiodini, Photo Editor • May 14, 2024

The Racers swept the Valparaiso Beacons in their last home series of the season. With these three wins the Racers move into a 34-18 record...

International student extends gratitude toward boss

David+Im+received+assistance+from+his+boss%2C+Sparrow+Davenport%2C+after+his+bike+was+damaged.+
Jill Smith
David Im received assistance from his boss, Sparrow Davenport, after his bike was damaged.

Simple acts of kindness can make a significant impact on a person’s day or life.

David Im, non-profit leadership studies major, is an international student from South Korea. He recently discovered that his bike’s rear tire had been damaged, and he saw the believed perpetrators avoiding him.

“My goodness, they were hiding, so I called the police on campus,” Im said. “ My experience (with) campus police is very good.”

Sparrow Davenport has been the administrative assistant in the math and statistics department since August 2023 and is Im’s boss.

After seeing and talking to Im, Davenport said they wanted to be at the University Police Station to support him.

“I know that it can be intimidating to approach law enforcement in general, and, secondly, I studied abroad in Germany when I was a Murray State student, and I know firsthand how difficult it can feel to communicate with authorities in a language that isn’t your first,” Davenport said. “I wanted to make sure that, if David ran into any issues, that there was someone familiar right there who could help.”

Meagan Dobbs, junior mathematics and chemistry major, also works with Im. She said Davenport is kind and helpful to everyone they encounter.

“(They are) there for you if you are overwhelmed, and (they) try (their) hardest to make your day better,” Dobbs said.

Im said after Davenport’s kindness, he wanted to praise them and their character.

“Living in the U.S. as a foreigner is not easy, both linguistically and culturally,” Im said. “There have been unpleasant experiences, but a good experience like yesterday (April 24) inspires me to live a life of helping others in the future. I can hardly put into words how moved I was yesterday and today; I even cried. It is indescribable.”

Im also said he has been fortunate to have had former bosses at the University who have extended the same kindness to him: Devon Cooper, an administrative assistant in political science and sociology, and Susanne D’Angelo, a retired administrative assistant in mathematics and statistics.

Davenport said they are honored to know they were able to make an impact on Im through a simple act of kindness.

“I’m touched that he shared my minor role in assisting with his damaged bicycle, and am very happy and honored to know that I have made such an impact,” Davenport said. “I just try to always make the day a bit better with each encounter.