Hunt honored in last OVC Tournament

Head Coach Eddie Hunt poses with his OVC pin flag, which the other coaches in the conference signed to celebrate his 20-year career at Murray State. (Photo courtesy of Racer Athletics)

Andrea Jameson 

Contributing Writer 

As the spring golf season comes to an end, Head Coach Eddie Hunt retired after 20 years of coaching the Murray State men’s golf team beginning in 2001. 

The 2021 season finishes with two strong suits for the men’s golf team as they contributed to the Racers placing 9th in the Ohio valley men’s championship tournament. 

Seniors Avery Edwards and Austin Knight competed in their last OVC championship event which took place in Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

Edwards finished in 10th place with scores of 76-69-73—218 while Knight placed 41st in the tournament with scores of 77-82-73—232. Senior Connor Coombs placed 34th shooting rounds of 78-73-77—228 while sophomore Carson Holmes took home 55th place shooting 78-81-83—242. 

Senior Quinn Eaton only competed in the first two days, making rounds of 81-77—158, as freshman Tyler Powell subbed in for Eaton by carding a 77 in the final round of the tournament. 

Hunt’s coaching career at Murray State ended with the 2021 season. His fellow OVC coaches honored Hunt by giving him a signed OVC pin flag to recognize his retirement. 

As this season concludes, featured moments include Powell earning the All-OVC Newcomer Team for the 2020-2021 season. Powell averaged a 77.5 in five events after 13 rounds, making the ASU Spring Classic in Prattsville, Alabama, one of his best tournaments by finishing in 10th place. Knight was able to capitalize on his last regular season tournament as a Racer on Tuesday, April 13, when he won the Big Blue Intercollegiate.