New telehealth counseling option set for fall
Bri Hunter, Editor in Chief • May 14, 2024

The University is extending on-campus mental health services for the next academic year through a company called TimelyCare.  TimelyCare...

PHOTOS: Baseball sweeps Valpo in last home series
Rebeca Mertins Chiodini, Photo Editor • May 14, 2024

The Racers swept the Valparaiso Beacons in their last home series of the season. With these three wins the Racers move into a 34-18 record...

Kickoff to celebrate seniors before graduation

Racer+Graduation+Kickoff+offers+graduating+seniors+the+chance+to+celebrate+their+successes+at+Murray+State.+
Racer Graduation Kickoff offers graduating seniors the chance to celebrate their successes at Murray State.

Between a stressful finals week and a fast-paced commencement ceremony, finding the time to stop and relax can be hard. Racer Graduation Kickoff offers graduating seniors an opportunity to celebrate how far they have come.

Racer Graduation Kickoff is scheduled for Friday, May 10, in the CFSB Center from 3-5 p.m. Graduating seniors, along with their friends and family, are invited to take pictures, mingle with other attendees, shop at the University bookstore booth and enjoy provided snacks and refreshments.

Students planning to attend Racer Graduation Kickoff must RSVP by Monday, May 6. An RSVP link is available in the commencement course on Canvas.

This year, graduating students will have the opportunity to donate to the Be Bold Campaign. Donation proceeds go to the Racers Helping Racers Food Pantry to aid students with food insecurity. Students who donate $20.24 will receive a Be Bold pin to adorn their graduation gowns.

Carrie McGinnis, director of Alumni Relations, said over 200 people have already signed up, and her office expects over 400 total.

“We want to make sure our graduates and their families have every opportunity to commemorate the event,” McGinnis said. “They’ve worked incredibly hard to get to that stage on commencement day. And it’s not just about the students, but also the families and friends that helped them to get there. (Our) support systems are an important part of our celebration. We didn’t get here alone.”

Students will have several photo opportunities to commemorate their graduation. Many areas of the CFSB Center make memorable backdrops like the “We Are Racers” sign and the Murray State shield. Murray State’s mascots, Dunker and Racer One, will be available for pictures. On stage, students can take pictures with the president’s podium, residential college shield and academic banners.

Additionally, the Murray State Alumni Association will be accepting new member registrations. The first year of registration is free, and students who sign up at Racer Graduation Kickoff will receive a free pennant. Alums will get a 10% discount on University bookstore purchases, which can be used in the CFSB Center as soon as registration is completed.

“For the office of Alumni Relations, it’s important for us to maintain contact with our graduates after they’ve walked across the stage, so when we host events and other programming around the country, we have access to… let them know and invite them to participate,” McGinnis said.

Any questions about Racer Graduation Kickoff can be directed to the Office of Alumni Relations.