Week-long event celebrates international community

International Education Week is celebrated by universities across the country from Nov. 14-18. (Photo courtesy of iew.state.gov)

Mason Galemore, Contributing Writer

Students at Murray State will have the opportunity to learn more about classrooms around the world with International Education Week (IEW).

IEW was organized by the Murray State’s Education Abroad Office and will start Monday, Nov. 14 and end Nov. 18.

Universities from across the country take part in IEW and are advised by the U.S. State Department. The week-long event includes guest speakers and activities for student.

This year’s IEW will be the first since COVID-19. The event is nationwide and is celebrated in the majority of Kentucky universities.

Steven Guns, director of Education Abroad, said IEW is a great opportunity for students to learn about traveling abroad. He says many of the exchange students have planned activities, including a group of Korean exchange students who are organizing a K-pop group.

“International Education Week is a way to provide intercultural and international experiences for faculty, staff and students,” Guns said. “It makes them aware of studying abroad, and there is a large and diverse international student presence on campus.”

Guns said the Education Abroad Office has collaborated with Murray State Dining to cook international dishes. Dining staff will receive help from international students to accurately cook the meals.

IEW will also have scholarship workshops available for students to learn how to write strong scholarship applications.

Additionally, workshops are planned that teach students how to use their existing financial aid to help finance study abroad trips.

Lauren Hines, a Murray State alumna, will give a presentation on Tuesday, Nov. 15 in the Blackburn Science Building about her study abroad experience in Morocco. Hines traveled to the north African country as a part of her Fulbright Scholarship.

Bill McKibben, director for International Retention and Scholar Services, said he is optimistic studying abroad will make a full comeback within the next two years.

“Study abroad not only helps our students but also helps our faculty and staff,” McKibben said. “It increases the University’s professional development.”

The majority of IEW events will take place in the Blackburn Science Building in Room 135 and in the Curris Center. For more information about IEW, visit murraystate.edu/educationabroad.

For more information on how universities across the country celebrate IEW, visit iew.state.gov.