Visitors gather in the Waterfield Library Gallery for Rhythmic Hues exhibit. Photo by Jessica Fife.
Paint exhibition showcases students 'Rhythmic Hues'
Gray Hawkins, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024

The “Rhythmic Hues” painting exhibition in the Waterfield Library Gallery showcased a lively range of works from various painting classes...

VIDEO: Murray State TV student combines passion for cooking, videography
Jonah Morgan, Staff Writer • May 4, 2024

Zackary Claggett, creator of Big Beef Cinema and senior television production major, has a strong passion for videography and cooking. Known...

‘Cabaret’ musical offers glimpse into 1920s Berlin

Cabaret+the+musical+is+to+be+performed+from+April+25-28.+
“Cabaret” the musical is to be performed from April 25-28.

The department of global languages and theatre arts and the department of music teamed up together to present the musical “Cabaret” from April 25-28. 

Based on the book by Joe Masteroff, the musical is set in a Berlin nightclub as the 1920s come to a close, offering a look into the dark life of Berlin natives as Germany begins to yield to the Third Reich. The musical follows American writer Clifford Bradshaw, who meets singer Sally Bowles at the Kit Kat Klub, a seedy cabaret.

Hannah Foote, senior creative writing major who plays the role of Helga, said that “Cabaret” has a special place in her heart. 

“My favorite part has been learning the choreography and watching the other scenes in the show,” Foote said. “The movement of the show from joviality to a state of despair is haunting. I get chills every time.” 

Even though the musical was staged in the 1920s, the musical still portrays messages relevant to this day. 

There is a message in this show for anyone of any age or place in life,” Foote said. “The big picture of the show is the depiction of society when a crisis occurs. There are those who decide to flee, those who go along with the change, and those who gives themselves to the chaos by dancing as the world falls apart.”

Elise Kieffer, director of “Cabaret,” said working with the incredibly talented students has been extremely rewarding. 

“Directing this production allowed me to be artistically creative in a way that my regular job does not allow,” Kieffer said. “It is also a unique way to work with students, and to meet students from beyond my academic program. When the department of global languages and theatre asked if I would be willing to direct, I enthusiastically agreed.”

To Kieffer, the production of “Cabaret” is an opportunity to open our minds to other views and ways of existing. 

“‘Cabaret’ first debuted in 1966. At that time, it approached important topics of social significance,” Kieffer said. “Between 2023-2024, since the show was selected for this year’s musical, every one of those issues have, once again, risen to be some of the most significant we are facing today: reproductive healthcare, gender identity, nationalism, sexuality, tolerance.” 

As the director, Kieffer has been working on this project since October 2023, working hard to bring the show together. 

Everyone involved works countless hours to bring a production to life for an audience,” Kieffer said. “To finally bring the audience into the theatre to see the culmination of that labor is wonderfully satisfying. Uniquely, for this show, because of its societal themes, I also look forward to hearing what conversations arise from those who attend.”

“Cabaret” will be performed in Robert E. Johnson Theatre at 7:30 p.m. on April 25-27 and at 2:30 p.m. on April 28. Tickets are $20. Students get in free with Murray State IDs. Tickets can be purchased at https://www.universe.com/explore?query=murray+state