Student athlete disproves basketball stereotype

Junior Center No. 10 Lucia Operto posts up against a Tennessee Tech defender during her sophomore season. (Photo courtesy of Dave Winder/ Racer Athletics)

Hannah Choate, Contributing Writer

A Murray State Racer is disproving a popular basketball stereotype.

Many people often view “benchwarmers,” a common term for substitutes, as a second-rate player. However, one Racer is well on her way to shattering this cliché.

21-year-old sophomore Lucia Operto is from Lehmann, Santa Fe, Argentina. She is the backup player for the center position on the Murray State women’s basketball team.

Operto is a decorated player. She has won three South American championships and competed in two FIBA AmeriCups and two world championships with Argentina’s national team.

Assistant Coach Monica Evans describes her as a regular team helper.

“She is always willing to help me set up for team meals, come early to help or go with me to pick up food or supplies,” Evans said.

Operto is also a great teammate, Evans said. During a crucial game last season, Operto took it upon herself to pass out Gatorade and water to her cramping teammates and even operated a massage gun on one while a trainer was helped another.

Operto says she chose to attend Murray State because of its history of strong athletic and academic departments. She also expressed the importance of the coaches’ kind treatment in her final decision.

“Playing basketball in America has been one of my most remarkable experiences ever,” Operto said.

She is positive, unselfish and caring, Evans said. Through showing these qualities, being a team helper and a great teammate, Operto quickly won the respect of her coaches and teammates and has became an important player on the women’s basketball team.

Operto says she has been inspired by many people throughout her 11-year basketball career. She first started playing because of her father and brother, but her main inspiration is Liz Cambage, a WNBA player.

In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her friends and family and watching Netflix.

While pursuing a major in public relations, Operto is in the process of attempting to break into her career for the first time. She wants to work in either the social media or public relations department of a multinational company, so she can meet and forge new relationships with a variety of people from around the world. Operto says she currently has her eye on The Walt Disney Co., The Coca-Cola Co. and Google Inc.

Despite basketball not being a part of Operto’s long-term career plans, she remains dedicated to her role on the Murray State women’s basketball team.