Beshear signs executive order compensating student-athletes for use of name, image, likeness

(Photo courtesy of Racer Athletics)

Dionte Berry
News Editor

Gov. Andy Beshear signed an executive order allowing collegiate level student-athletes in Kentucky to be compensated from the use of their name, image and likeness.

Beshear signed the order on Thursday, June 24 making him the first governor to enact this type of policy through an executive order.  

“Today’s step was done in cooperation with all of our public universities as well as leadership of both parties,” Beshear said. “This action ensures we are not at a competitive disadvantage in recruiting, and also that our student athletes have the same rights and opportunities as those in other states. For any individual athlete, their name, image and likeness are their own and no one else’s.”

Along with compensation, Kentucky schools have been directed to provide education and other resources to help student-athletes with financial literacy. 

Colleges and universities also have the ability to determine time limits and what associations student-athletes can receive compensation from. 

After signing the order, Beshear received praise for his actions from many Kentucky university and college figures, one of them being President Bob Jackson.

“This executive order will help maintain consistency across intercollegiate athletics by ensuring that rules regarding name, image and likeness are fairly applied to our universities and student-athletes,” Jackson said. “We believe our student-athletes will benefit from this executive order which provides much-needed direction for our university athletic programs here in the commonwealth.”

Kentucky is among 19 states that have policies in place that compensate student-athletes. Beshear’s executive order will take effect on July 1. 

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has made preliminary changes to their eligibility rules to allow compensation. Until the U.S. Congress is able to create a national standard of compensation the preliminary changes will stay in place.