Playhouse in the Park adjusts to COVID-19

Pictured is Playhouse at the Park at 701 Gil Hopson Drive. (Dionte Berry/The News)

Mason Galemore
Contributing Writer

Murray’s Playhouse in the Park has made adjustments to how they operate amid the COVID-19 pandemic, seeing a large transition to a virtual format.

“We were literally in tech week for ‘Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime’ when everything shut down,” said Playhouse in the Park Director Lisa Cope. “Like most places, we have looked for ways to do things virtually and were able to offer some summer camps that way. All board meetings have been virtual.”

As director of the Playhouse, Cope oversees the production of plays and workshops. 

The Playhouse gave several outdoor shows in fall 2020 in order to maintain social distancing while performing. Cope said while the shows gave the theater financial support, they also gave a real boost to a community that is starving for creativity. 

Photo from the Playhouse’s outdoor fall show, “Rainbow Fish.” (Photo courtesy of Lisa Cope)

“It was a great way to just be back involved in the community and for people to have a chance to remember that we are still here,” Cope said. “Almost everyone who came to see the shows commented on how happy they were to be able to come see live entertainment and to feel safe doing it.”

Cope also shared the activities and workshops planned for the spring. Some are in person while some will only be available virtually. A list of these activities can be found on the Playhouse website.

One workshop will teach intro to comedy sketch writing taught by the Playhouse instructor Nancy Fast. It will begin Thursday, Feb. 4, and will be held every Thursday night from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m for eight weeks. Admission for the class is $50. 

The Playhouse is also hosting the Jazzy Cats Theatre Class for ages six to 12. Cope said Jazzy Cats is based off of the animated movie “Aristocats.” All of the students will learn costume design, prop making, acting and singing. 

Photo from the the Playhouse’s outdoor fall show, “Rainbow Fish.” (Photo courtesy of Lisa Cope)

The meetings for Jazzy Cats will be in person but with limited spots to maintain social distancing. The class will begin Feb. 22 and will end Feb. 27. They will be held from 4:30 p.m. to 6p.m. 

Cope also expressed her joy of receiving support from the Murray community in such trying times. 

“I have cried more happy tears than sad,” Cope said. “I am humbled and grateful for every single donation we receive. We have some patrons who literally send us $5 and say, ‘I wish I could do more, but I want you to know that I support you all.’ It’s hard to beat that feeling.”

Those interested in supporting Playhouse in the Park can either donate or volunteer for upcoming events. There is more information on how community members can help on the theater’s website at www.playhousemurray.org and on their  Facebook at Playhouse in the Park.