Rising to the occasion

Opinion+Header

Written by Tori Main, Contributing writer

Teenagers are here to change the world. Despite most of the demographic being unable to vote, they will not let age muffle their voices and demands for change.

With the most recent tragedies occurring at Marshall County High School and Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, students have had enough. Survivors and student activists have galvanized the national debate over school safety and gun violence.

School walkouts and protests have been organized all over the nation in response to the #NeverAgain movement, along with a national “March for Our Lives” that will take place in Washington, D.C. on March 24.

Though many of these students are still in high school, they do not let their youth prevent them from standing for what they believe in. This time they are making sure their voices are heard loud and clear. This is why I believe teenagers are going to be the leaders of change. The students affected have heard enough of the “thoughts and prayers,” and are now wanting real political action to take place.

Since the Parkland shootings, student activists such as Emma González, 18, and David Hogg, 17, are supporting and demanding change when our leaders will not, and they will not take no for an answer.

Their current target is the National Rifle Association. Since González’s “We Call BS” speech, many across the nation have rallied and called for companies to retract support and discounts for members of the NRA. Walmart and Dick’s Sporting Goods have already raised the age to purchase firearms at their stores to 21. This is due in part to the relentless actions taken by these individuals across the nation.

This movement, and those like it, has lead to changes in communities all over the world. In India and Sudan, for example, children are fighting to end child marriage, campaigning for free education and even suing over the effects caused by climate change.

I think that it is important that young people are getting involved in politics and the workings of the world. Even though they don’t have a say at the voting booth, it does not mean that they do not have a voice. What is happening in America and all over the world is going to impact their future. I believe they have the right to speak up for what they believe in and make it known they want change.

I do not think that anyone should underestimate the power of these students. With the connection of social media, they are able to spread their message throughout the Internet. Student activists are turning to news stations, speaking at rallies and creating hashtags to create a large presence online and in media. González never had a Twitter until after the attack on her high school. She is now not only speaking at events and to news stations, she is able to express her ideas on Twitter to reach larger audiences as well. These students are going full force when it comes to standing up for what they believe in, educating themselves and others, and I think that it is not going to end anytime soon.

I am proud of the younger generation advocating for positive change. They’re strong enough to change the world and are taking action when our political leaders won’t. Our future will be constructed by those who participate in elections and fight for what they believe in. It’s time we all join this movement.