Recent graduates receive law school offers

Caroline Blakeman, Contributing Writer

Murray State history and political science students who have applied for law school have a 100% acceptance rate, with a majority receiving scholarships, according to a University press release.

Among these students is 2021 political science and pre-law alumna Mercedes Rutledge. She attends the Southern Illinois University School of Law.

“I appreciate the tougher professors now much more than I did before,” Rutledge said. “We were always told, ‘Law school is a marathon and not a race.’ I wasn’t sure what that meant then, but I for sure do now. When my studies seem overwhelming, I always have to remind myself of that.”

Another recent graduate is 2020 political science alumna Abby Rock. She attends the University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law and plans to graduate in May.

“While no undergraduate course will mimic a law school course in every way, I found that the content of many political science courses provided me with a basic understanding of common principles that my law school experience expanded upon,” Rock said.

Kathy Callahan, history department chair, said the department fosters the development of analytical skills and the ability to articulate ideas in both oral and written form.

“One of the things that I think is important to student success is the rigor our faculty builds into our courses,” Callahan said. “Students who go to law school pay attention to what they are doing.”

Callahan said characteristics of successful students include seeking challenging classes, reading and writing with a critical eye and learning to speak up in class.

Rock said her LST 240 Business Law course with Associate Professor Ihsan Alkhatib was a great introduction to the principles of contract law and business organizations, and her LST 447 Constitutional Law course with Associate Professor Paul Foote was helpful in providing an overview of the history of law school.

“We encourage our students to be well-rounded and to take courses outside the department that will also foster the skills necessary to be strong law students and lawyers,” Callahan said. “For example, we encourage our students to take philosophy classes, as critical thinking is integral to their success.”

The University also provides many programs to assist these students with their journey to law school, like simulated LSAT exams, board panels and law school visits.

Rock also used programs offered by the University, specifically the law school admissions panel, which hosted admissions counselors from all three Kentucky law schools.

“This panel was very helpful for me as a first-generation law student who knew nothing about the law school admissions process,” Rock said.

In the original press release, the University failed to highlight women who are currently in law school or recently graduated. 

After reading it, Rutledge made a Facebook post expressing her frustration on the lack of representation in the press release.

“There is a gap in the legal field between male and female colleagues, as there are in many fields,” Rutledge said. “The media has such an important role of not continuing to normalize this behavior.” 

Shortly after her post, the University updated the article to highlight Murray State alumnae and their accomplishments.

“I think that it was awesome the University responded to the criticism so quickly,” Rutledge said. “It’s such a small effort to be socially aware, and in the end, it’s worth it to set the status quo.”

The updated press release also highlighted how each department saw success in their students for various reasons.

“The Department of Political Science and Sociology was instrumental in preparing me for law school,” Rock said.