Global Languages Showcase returns after brief hiatus

Rebeca Mertins Chiodini
    Students work on their own personal Mardi Gras mask. This was the activity at French table at the Global Languages Workshop.

The Department of Global Languages and Theatre Arts hosted the Global Languages Showcase to highlight languages and cultures from around the world on Oct. 24. 

The showcase hasn’t occurred since the pandemic. Robert Fritz, assistant Spanish professor and organizer of the showcase, said the showcase is a collaboration between the department and its students. 

“The students are the backbone of the showcase because they organize the workshops that we have for our visitors,” Fritz said. “Students in our classes from this year are offering workshops in all of the languages that we teach here in the department, with the exception of Portuguese.”

Students enrolled in Spanish, French, German, Japanese and Chinese courses organized activities for high school students who attended the showcase. 

Six area high schools registered to attend this year’s showcase, all with the hope of walking away with more knowledge about world cultures. Students attending the showcase paid $5 each, which helped cover the cost of supplies used at each workshop. 

Allie Wood, junior psychology major, is currently enrolled in SPA 301, a writing and composition course. Wood and two other students helped with the Spanish language station. 

“We started to prepare about a month ago, discussing different ideas for our presentation and gathering the supplies to make the [skull] masks,” Wood said. 

Each station allowed visiting students to partake in educational activities, including crafts. Students visited at least four different workshops and participated in different activities. 

Students visiting the French workshop made Mardi Gras masks, while the Japanese station held an origami workshop. The Spanish workshop contained information and activities centered around Guatemala, Spain and Mexico, such as papel picado and Guatemalan worry dolls. German students taught visitors to write their names and Germanic runes and the Chinese workshop allowed students to make opera masks.

Fritz said the showcase is an opportunity for students to make memories at Murray State. 

“Mainly, it’s a chance for area language teachers to bring their students to meet other people who are interested in languages and to start thinking about studying languages at the university level,” Fritz said. “It’s a great way to try to attract new students to our programs. For the high school teachers, it’s a great opportunity to get their students interested in the language, and [show them] there are ways to pursue their interests.”

Brent Menchinger, chair of global languages and theatre arts, said the department is excited to bring this event back to campus.  

“Prior to COVID, we were able to hit on a formula that both our faculty and area schools enjoyed, then COVID happened, preventing the opportunity to refine the new format,” Menchinger said. “We are looking forward to doing so now. The language showcase is an excellent way to provide area schools with opportunities to expand their knowledge and passion for languages in a fun environment.”

Wood said the showcase is a great opportunity for students to learn about other languages and cultures and can lead to the creation of more well-rounded individuals. 

“I hope that the students are able to see how fun learning about different cultures can be, and [how] understanding other cultural holidays can be very rewarding and exciting,” Wood said.