first day issue

Rodrigo’s new album highlights girlhood

GUTS released on September 8 under Geffen Records (Album cover courtesy of Pitchfork)

Olivia Rodrigo’s new album ‘Guts” came out on Sept. 8 and it blew my mind.

Rodrigo is my favorite artist and her new album is phenomenal. She included four deluxe tracks that are on different vinyls. 

There are different songs on different colors of the vinyl records she released including songs such as ‘Obsessed’, ‘Scared of my Guitar’, ‘Stranger’, and ‘Girl I’ve Always Been’. It is a personal goal of mine to obtain all four of them. I have the purple vinyl which has the song ‘Girl I’ve Always Been’. 

She is such a fun artist to be a fan of. She plans out the content she posts in a way that is so elaborate and entertaining. She helps describe the experience of being a girl in our world and the cultures in it. Her music is something I find myself relating to whether it’s from my past or the ways I see myself now. 

Her first album ‘Sour’ helped me feel like I wasn’t alone in the things I had experienced. Although I am older now, the songs remind me of how I’ve grown and help me express myself. For me, her songs are a haven. She is someone I feel like I will always listen to and look back at it as a fond time in my life.

On September 13th she announced her tour for ‘Guts’ and I hope to get tickets to attend. Unlike other artists, she makes her tickets affordable so more people will have the opportunity to get tickets. If you haven’t listened to her new album, play a song or two and see what you think!