Turley breaks own record in final home game

Head Coach Rechelle Turner and Assistant Coach Monica Evans honor senior guards Macey Turley and Jordyn Hughes and senior forward Alexis Burpo. Photo by Rebeca Mertins Chiodini/The News.

Ronan Summers, Staff Writer

Redshirt senior guard Macey Turley made her 46th consecutive free throw, breaking her own record of 45 on senior night when the Racers played the UNI Panthers on Saturday, Feb. 25.

With the last home game of the season comes the annual senior night. The Racers have three seniors departing after this season comes to an end. Turley, redshirt senior forward Alexis Burpo and redshirt senior guard Jordyn Hughes were all acknowledged for their hard work during their collegiate careers.

Murray has watched two of the three seniors from this year grow into the players they are today. Burpo and Turley have played with one another since high school. Turley and Burpo joked about their playing time together after the game, with Turley asking just how long they’d been together, to which Burpo responded “It feels like forever.”

Turley went on to say it’s been nothing short of special to play with Burpo for such a long time.

Hughes transferred to Murray State after four seasons at Eastern Illinois University. She played in 109 games before becoming a Racer, bringing experience and a spark to the team. Hughes spoke about her Murray State experience after being an OVC rival for four years.

“From my first day on campus, I could tell this team was special, and this group of girls was special,” Hughes said.

Turley plans to work on her master’s degree in athletic training at the University of Evansville after she leaves Murray State. Hughes is finishing her master’s in health care. Burpo also plans to finish her master’s and begin coaching at either the high school or college level.

Former Murray High School basketball coach and Racers Head Coach Rechelle Turner likely had a role to play in Burpo’s decision to start coaching basketball. Turner has coached Burpo and Turley throughout the majority of their playing careers. Both of them spoke about Turner and Assistant Coach Monica Evans’ impact on them as both players and people.

“They    mean   everything,”  Turley    said. 

“They’re like our second moms,” Burpo followed. “I couldn’t get through anything without them by my side through all of this.”  

Unfortunately for the Racers, the Panthers were the victors on Saturday, winning the matchup 76-48. Murray State shot 15-57 (26.3%) from the field and turned the ball over 20 times in the loss.

Junior forward Katelyn Young led the Racers in points with 16, with five rebounds and two assists. Junior forward Hannah McKay totaled 8 points, six rebounds and two assists. Turley had 7 points, a rebound, an assist and a steal. Burpo ended with 6 points and seven rebounds. Sophomore guard Cayson Conner had 6 points and four rebounds.

This loss gives the Racers a losing record with two games left on the regular season schedule. Murray State will travel to take on the Valparaiso Beacons, though away games have not been the Racers’ strong suit. Tipoff is at 6 p.m. on Thursday, March 2.

After the Racers’ road trip, the MVC Tournament begins on Thursday, March 9.