Campus temporarily locked down after nearby shooting

Local law enforcement arrived at the 1500 block of Chestnut Street this morning after reports of shots fired. (Photo courtesy of Gage Johnson/TheNews)

Gage Johnson

Editor-in-Chief

Murray State’s campus was locked down this morning after reports of shots fired near Chestnut Street on Tuesday, March 16. 

Local law enforcement arrived at the private property near campus in between Elizabeth Residential College and the Baptist Campus Ministry building on campus after reports of shots being fired.

At 7:46 a.m. a Racer Alert was sent to faculty, staff and students stating that an incident had been reported near campus and that residential colleges need to shelter in place. It was also stated that all people should avoid the bridge and general area in the middle of campus near Chestnut Street.

An all clear was given to campus via a Racer Alert, but more information on the incident came to light at 9:17 a.m. through a message sent to all users from Murray State President Bob Jackson.

Earlier this morning, the Murray State Police Department and Murray City Police responded to a shooting incident at a property adjacent to campus and a shelter in place message was sent immediately thereafter,” Jackson said in the email. “The shooter is no longer a threat to the campus community. Multiple victims have been transported to the local hospital. At this time, we do not believe that the individuals were students or had any affiliation with Murray State University. There is no threat to the Murray State campus.”

Shortly after, the Murray Police Department sent out a press release confirming that they responded to the 1500 block of Chestnut Street and are actively investigating a shooting in the area.

Stay tuned to The News’ social media pages and our website as we continue to update the community on the story as more information becomes available.