All Campus Sing: the tradition continues

Story by Abbey Dickinson, Contributing Writer

Photos by Kalea Anderson/The News

On Wednesday afternoon, Murray State celebrated the 60th annual All Campus Sing on the steps of Lovett Auditorium.

All Campus Sing, hosted by Murray State’s chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota, is one of the most anticipated campus traditions. Every year, hundreds of students, faculty and staff, alumni and residents of the community join together on the lawn in front of Lovett Auditorium to witness the fierce singing and dancing competition.

The Honors College won first place of the independent organizations, and Elizabeth College won first place of the residential college division. The first place winners of the sorority division were the ladies of Alpha Sigma Alpha who performed “The Order of the Phoenix.” Alpha Gamma Delta came in second place with their performance “Material Squirrels.”

The first place winners of the fraternity division were the men of Alpha Sigma Phi who performed “Welcome to the 2000s.” The men of Sigma Phi Epsilon came in second place with their performance “The Circle of Life.” Sigma Pi fraternity was crowned grand champions of the philanthropic event.

Tressa Ross, alumna and current faculty member of Murray State, said All Campus Sing has always been a large tradition on Murray State’s campus, and she has not missed a performance since 1979.

“Back in those days, All Campus Sing was kind of it,” Ross said. “We didn’t have step show yet, and Rock-A-Thon wasn’t the lip sync contest that it is now. The only way for all of us to perform was at All Campus Sing, so it was a really really big deal.”

Ross said the event of All Campus Sing has made many changes over the years but has remained very special to both the university and the community. 

“I think all the performances have gotten much more elaborate and cool with all their dancing and props,” Ross said. “I also think it is awesome how we can stream the entire event online for anyone to watch. The greatest part is being able to see how much it binds our school with the community that its in. It’s just so much fun, I love it.”

Paige Stallings, sophomore from Murray, Kentucky and member of Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, was a participant in All Campus Sing 2018. She said the event is something she looks forward to all year.

“The day of the show and all of the days leading up to it have been so enjoyable with my sorority,” Stallings said. “It’s one of those times that really brings us together, and we become true best friends. I was never a big singer or dancer growing up, but All Campus Sing is great because it doesn’t matter. Everyone has an equal opportunity to perform.”

Grant Knox, senior from Lexington, Kentucky, coached Alpha Gamma Delta at this year’s ACS, and he helped write the show music for Phi Mu Alpha. He has been involved in the event in some way for four years.

“It’s cool to see a bunch of people gather around to participate in musical event that wouldn’t otherwise,” Knox said. “It’s an opportunity for the music fraternity and sorority to spread the love for music. The friendly competition is cool and gives them a pride in their organizations.”