Turley stands alone atop Racers’ all-time assist list

Redshirt senior guard Macey Turley blows by a defender on her way to 15 points against the Eavnsville Aces on Sunday, Feb. 12. Photo by Rebeca Mertins Chiodini/The News.

Ronan Summers, Staff Writer

Redshirt senior guard and Murray native Macey Turley became Murray State’s all-time leader in assists on Sunday, Feb. 12, surpassing the previous record of 512 held by current Racers’ Assistant Coach and Murray State Hall of Famer Amber Guffey.

Turley currently has 515 assists on the season, and the number are expected to grow. Turley has been playing meaningful minutes since her freshman year. Now, in her fifth year of the program, she has achieved another accolade that will allow her to be remembered long after her playing time. 

What has Turley done in her time at Murray State? In just her freshman year, she started 30 games and won the 2019 OVC Freshman of the Year award, was named to the All-OVC second team and All-Newcomer team, was a seven-time OVC Freshman of the Week winner and became just the fifth freshman in Murray State history to record 30-plus points in a game.

This year, Turley is averaging 11.3 points, 3.1 assists and 2.7 rebounds a game. Although her time as a Racer is nearing an end, the imprint she has left on the program will be felt for years to come. 

After a seven-game losing streak, the Racers entered the first quarter at their home game against the Evansville Aces ready to win. The Racers outscored the Aces 25-8 in the first quarter. Junior forward Katelyn Young scored 11 of the 25 first quarter points after making a layup and a trio of 3-pointers. 

The second quarter was more evenly matched, but the Racers still outscored the Aces 25-21, giving the Racers a 21-point lead at halftime. 

The Racers would continue to leave their foot on the gas and win the game 80-60. Racers Head Coach Rechelle Turner said it was all about pressure.

“Today I thought we kept them off balance,” Turner said. “I just thought we really got after them, pressured them. We did a really good job of making sure that they never really got comfortable in what they were trying to do.”

Young finished with 29 points and four rebounds. Turley had 15 points, five assists and five rebounds. Sophomore forward Jaidah Black totaled 5 points, four rebounds, an assist, a block and a steal. Junior guard Bria Sanders-Woods ended with 10 points, a rebound and a steal while coming off of the bench. 

The Racers shot 29-59 (49.2%) from the field and 10-22 (45.5%) on 3-pointers. They also made 12-13 (92.3%) of their free throws. The Racers had 30 points in the paint and 18 points off turnovers, and their bench scored a total of 24 points in the win. 

This win snapped the seven-game losing streak that lasted almost a month. Turner said it was a matter of time before they could stop thestreak. 

“Everybody’s having their best offensive output against us because the toughness, the effort, the energy and the heart just hasn’t been there on the defensive end of the floor,” Turner said. “Offense hasn’t been our problem these last seven games. We’ve scored enough points to win the game. We’re just giving up an astronomical amount of points.” 

Now, the Racers look to start a different kind of streak as they start their two-game road trip. The first game will be at 6 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 17 against the Missouri State Bears, who sit in third place in the MVC with an overall record of 16-7 and a conference record of 11-3. 

Senior guard Aniya Thomas is the leading scorer for the Bears,  averaging 14.2 points per game, while shooting 38% from the field and averaging 4.6 rebounds a game. Sophomore forward Kennedy Taylor is averaging 11.7 points per game while leading her team in rebounds, averaging eight boards a game. 

The second game of the road trip came against the SIU Salukis. Graduate guard Ashley Jones is the leading scorer for the Salukis, averaging 16.8 points per game. She is shooting 40% from the field and averaging three rebounds a game. Junior center Promise Taylor has averaged 9.9 points a game, six rebounds and 2.7 blocks per game this season. 

The Salukis are currently one seed ahead of the Racers in the MVC standings with an overall record of 9-14 and a conference record of 6-8. Though Murray State’s 12-11 record is better, their 5-9 record against conference opponents puts them behind SIU. 

A pair of wins this weekend would significantly boost the Racers’ chances of landing a top seed in the MVC Tournament. The game will be on Sunday, Feb. 19 at 5 p.m.