VIDEO: TV student premieres short film at local theater
Jonah Morgan, Staff Writer • May 4, 2024

Zackary Claggett, creator of Big Beef Cinema and senior television production major, has a strong passion for videography and cooking. Known...

Redshirt freshman guard Zoe Stewart defends an Indiana State player.
Women's basketball player arrested
Jakob Milani, Co-Editor-In-Chief/Sports Editor • May 3, 2024

Murray State women’s basketball player Zoe Stewart was arrested early Thursday morning on assault charges. Police were called about potential...

Women's basketball player arrested

Murray State students explore living off-campus

Graphic+explores+the+pros+and+cons+of+living+off+campus.+
Graphic explores the pros and cons of living off campus.

Universities around the country require all first and second-year students to live on campus under the pretense of increasing involvement and graduation rates. After those two years, many students decide to seek housing outside of campus, leaving one to wonder how different their college experience is compared to those who live on campus. 

Avery Mackey, junior wildlife conservation/biology major, said she thinks there are perks to living on- and off-campus, but she misses the convenience of living on campus.

“I definitely don’t have immediate access to certain things like people that live on campus do,” Mackey said. “I have to get in my truck and drive over to campus if I want to use any of those facilities.” 

Brooklynn Hanmore, senior exercise science major, said she enjoyed living on campus but likes living off campus too. 

“I didn’t mind it because I felt involved and close to my friends,” Hanmore said. “But then being older, I like that I have the opportunity and freedom to live off of campus.”

Kaid Marek, senior psychology major, said she feels like living off-campus in an apartment is like a constant little friend party. 

“The only downside is that I can’t take a nap in between classes,” Marek said. “Honestly, I’ve kind of really enjoyed living off campus because I have a lot of freedom.” 

Arielle Evans, junior public relations major, says she sees the benefits of living on campus. 

“I think that living on campus is nice because you’re close to everything, to the dining hall, classes, it’s only about a 10-minute walk from everything,” Evans said. “But living off campus is also nice just because I can do more things. I don’t have to check into a residential hall every time I go.” 

Whether you decide to remain on campus or not, the university experience appears to remain the same, as all students, regardless of their housing situation, voice similar approvals and complaints surrounding campus life.