James strikes out 13 batters in victory

Wins Pitcher of the Week after perfect game and 700 career strikeouts.

Senior right handed pitcher Hannah James throws a strike, leading to one of her 13 strikeouts in the Racers win over the Belmont Bruins on Tuesday, April 11. Photo by Rebeca Mertins Chiodini/The News.

Ronan Summers, Staff Writer

The contest between the Murray State Racers and Belmont Bruins went to the tenth inning to decide a winner on Tuesday, April 11.

Senior right-handed pitcher Hannah James recently was recognized for her success on the mound and was awarded the MVC Pitcher of the Week after going 2-0 with a save. It was a weekend worth celebrating, as she also recorded her 700th strikeout on Friday, April 7 against the Valparaiso Beacons. 

James pitched a perfect game on Saturday, April 8 against the Beacons in a nine strikeout effort. In total, she allowed only a hit and a walk in 11.1 innings last week. She is 11-5 this season with an ERA of 1.31.

Junior right-handed pitcher Jenna Veber also had an eventful day, as she recorded career win No. 40 in Friday’s win over the Beacons. Veber has a 11-4 record this season with a 2.06 ERA. 

It was James who got the start for the visiting Racers on Tuesday in a pitching duel that went into extra innings.

There were 19 straight outs recorded between both teams to start the game. Freshman outfielder Jadyn Thompson singled with one out in the top of the fourth inning, recording the first hit of the game. She was left on base after the next two Racers struck out swinging, sending the game into the bottom of the fourth inning. 

The next hit of the game did not come until the top of the tenth inning when junior infielder Lily Fischer hit a solo home run, breaking the tie and putting the first run of the day on the board. This was Fischer’s third home run of the season. 

The Bruins were finally able to get on base in the bottom of the tenth inning after a double by sophomore infielder Emily Cockrill. Belmont was unable to drive her in, and the Racers won the game 1-0 after 10 innings. 

Junior right-handed pitcher Emma Summers received the loss after being put into the game in the tenth inning and giving up the home run to Fischer. Freshman left-handed pitcher Maya Johnson got the start for the Bruins. She pitched nine innings and struck 20 batters out, while allowing a hit and a walk. 

James got the win after pitching all 10 innings. She allowed one hit, no walks and struck 13 batters out. 

Thompson’s single and Fischer’s home run made up both of the Racers’ two hits on Tuesday. Freshman outfielder Adison Hicks was the only Racer that walked in the win.

The battle between Johnson and James was fierce, and neither pitcher was willing to let up. Racer and Bruin batters combined to strike out for a total of 34 times. Murray State batters struck out 21 times, as Belmont batters struck out 13 times. 

Murray State is now 2-0 against Belmont. The next meeting between the two teams will be at 3 p.m. on April 26. The Racers are now in fifth place in the MVC with an overall record of 26-14 and a conference record of 10-4. 

Murray State will be celebrating Alumni Weekend from Friday, April 14 to Sunday, April 16. The first game of the weekend series will be at 5 p.m. against Evansville on Friday at Racer Field. The Racers then play at 2 p.m. on Saturday and again at noon on Sunday.