Student group aims to open painting to all majors

The Paint Club will host its first meeting on April 14 in New Fine Arts room 711. (Photo courtesy of @msupaintclub on Instagram)

MacKenzie Rogers, Staff Writer

The art-focused Paint Club is joining the roster of clubs on campus. The new club was created for anyone interested in painting—new artists and pros alike.

The club is led by faculty adviser Jessica Fife, assistant professor of art and design. Fife said she hopes to one day see the club become part of the community, both here on campus and throughout Murray.

“My number one reason for wanting to start and advise this club was to give the students a community of fellow students that are also interested in painting,” Fife said. “Some students aren’t able to take a painting class in their schedule, so this gives them an opportunity to paint as a group and get peer and adviser critiques.”

Club President Benson Greenwell said he looks forward to meeting everyone at the club’s next meeting.

“I am very excited to build up a community of fellow painters, both new to the medium and skilled,” Benson said. “I believe that the MSU Paint Club will be a great opportunity for members to further enhance their paint skills and get more involved within the art department.”

The club is free to join and open to students of all majors. The club plans to host numerous activities like solo and group painting, painting challenges, gallery and museum visits, game nights and potential exhibition opportunities.

Social Media Manager and Treasurer Brooklyn Burnett said she is looking forward to jump-starting the club before she graduates.

“I am excited to leave a legacy behind at Murray State University,” Burnett said. “There are not many avenues for non-art students to take painting courses while staying on track to graduate. Making painting more accessible to everyone and providing professional experience to studio art majors is the whole reason the club was started.”

Burnett said she would love to see the club learn about watercolor painting in the near future.

“Watercolor is a medium not taught until advanced painting, so it would be an excellent introduction to the medium,” Burnett said. “I would also love to see us do some form of group painting to be able to display or donate to the annual art auction.”

The club’s next meeting is at 4 p.m. on April 14 in the Price Doyle Fine Arts Building room 711. The club also has organized to have visiting artist Jimmy Wright speak and give painting advice to students on April 21 at a to-be-determined time and location.

To keep up with the Paint Club and its future activities, follow the club’s Instagram @msupaintclub.