Football’s historic fall continues

Freshman quarterback Lucas Maue (No. 4) ran in two touchdowns on Saturday, Oct. 22. Photo courtesy of Dave Winder/Racer Athletics.

Jakob Milani, Sports Editor

For the first time since 1965 and the third time in program history, Murray State’s football team has not been able to win a game in its first eight weeks.

Following their 33-18 loss to the Lindenwood University Lions on Saturday, Oct. 22, the Racers fell to 0-8 on the season, despite an early first quarter lead and 157 yards rushing from sophomore running back Demonta Witherspoon.

After winning the coin toss, the Racers deferred and let the Lions get the ball first.

The Racers forced a punt on the Lions’ first drive and made their way down the field, looking to take an early lead. 

Following a 22-yard rush from freshman running back Cortezz Jones, sophomore quarterback Jayden Stinson found senior wide receiver DeQuan Dallas for a 6-yard catch. From there, freshman backup quarterback Lucas Maue came in and rushed 1 yard for a touchdown.

The point after attempt was missed, but the Racers were up 6-0 with 8:13 left in the first quarter.

The teams traded punts over the next few drives before Murray State started to put a drive together. Witherspoon took a handoff 29 yards up the field, then Stinson found Dallas for a 10-yard gain that set up another 1-yard rush from Maue for a touchdown.

After failing on the 2-point conversion, the Racers led the Lions 12-0 after one quarter.

Lindenwood managed to get a drive into Murray State territory to start the second quarter with a 13-yard rush from junior running back Justin Williams. Senior quarterback Cade Brister took advantage with a 39-yard pass to senior wide receiver Kobe Smith for a touchdown. The Lions were on the board, though they were down 12-7 with 13:34 left in the second quarter.

Once the Racers got the ball back, they ate up as much time as they could with a slow 15-play drive. The longest play of the drive came later, as Stinson completed a 10-yard pass to senior wide receiver LaMartez Brooks, putting the Racers at the Lindenwood 9-yard line.

Three plays later, the Racers settled for 3 points with a 22-yard field goal from senior kicker Aaron Baum. The Racers were up 15-7 with 5 minutes left in the first half.

Lindenwood answered on their next drive, as Brister found senior wide receiver Payton Rose for a 27-yard touchdown pass. With the extra point attempt up and good, the Lions cut the Racers’ lead to just 1 point.

After forcing a punt, the Lions got the ball back with 1:13 left in the first half. They quickly made their way down the field, and sophomore kicker Logan Seibert made a 42-yard field goal, putting the Lions up 17-15 at halftime.

With the ball in the Racers’ hands to start the second half, Witherspoon went to work with multiple double-digit yard rushes in their first drive. Then, Stinson found Dallas for a 27-yard gain to move the Racers across midfield.

A couple plays later, the Racers found themselves on fourth down in the Lions’ red zone. Baum walked out on the field and kicked a 32-yard field goal, putting the Racers back on top 18-17.

Once the Racers got the ball back, they quickly made their way down the field, all the way up to the Lindenwood 6-yard line. Stinson dropped back and tried to get a pass to the end zone, but senior defensive back Darion Bolden intercepted the pass and took it all the way back for a touchdown, putting the Lions up 24-18.

From there, the Racers were not able to put points on the board as Lindenwood took full control of the game.

The game entered the fourth quarter, and Lindenwood was in possession of the ball on its own 15-yard line. They got the ball moving, first with a 15-yard pass from Brister to Smith, then with a 64-yard pass from Brister to Rose.

After a personal foul on Murray State, Brister dropped back and completed a 4-yard pass to Smith for the touchdown, going up 30-18.

After a punt from Murray State, the Lions made their way back down the field and set up a 29-yard field goal for Seibert to put them up 33-18.

The Racers had another chance to get points on the board, but after making it up to the Murray State 36-yard line, Stinson was again intercepted by Bolden.

The interception was the nail in the coffin for the Racers, as they left St. Charles, Missouri, without a win.

Brister completed 16 of his 26 passes for 242 yards and three touchdowns. Rose caught three passes for 111 yards and a touchdown, while Smith caught five passes for 65 yards and two touchdowns.

Stinson completed 11 passes for 98 yards with two interceptions. Dallas had 44 yards on four catches, while Brooks had 35 yards on four catches.

Teams that have gone eight weeks without a win in Murray State history have all finished the season without a win. The Racers have three more weeks to grab a win or suffer the fate of being the third team in Murray State history without a win.

Murray State will host Tennessee State on Saturday, Oct. 29 for the annual Homecoming game. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m.