Student Group organizes for reproductive health

%28From+Left%29+Planned+Parenthood+Generation+Action+president+Julian+Lamson+and+treasurer+Nathalie+Perry+tabling+in+the+Curris+Center+on+Sept.+22.+%28Photo+Courtesy+of+%40msuppgenaction+on+Instagram%29+

(From Left) Planned Parenthood Generation Action president Julian Lamson and treasurer Nathalie Perry tabling in the Curris Center on Sept. 22. (Photo Courtesy of @msuppgenaction on Instagram)

MacKenzie Rogers, Staff Writer

Striving to advocate and fight for reproductive freedom and foundational justice for all, The Planned Parenthood Generation Action Group partnered with Planned Parenthood aiming to raise public awareness on reproductive health and rights.

The organization is new to campus this semester.

Secretary of the Murray State University Generation Act Nathalie Perry said these organizations have been active on college campuses across the country for years.

“With the extensive legislative attacks on sexual and reproductive freedom and LGBTQ rights, Planned Parenthood Alliance Advocates have been looking to expand chapters in college campuses across Kentucky,” Perry said. “The past two legislative sessions have really highlighted the need to organize around the state.”

After the overturning of Roe v. Wade, Kentucky’s trigger law went into effect, initiating an almost complete abortion ban, along with 13 other states. This makes Kentucky one of the states with the strictest abortion laws.

“These are highly coordinated and targeted attacks to put an end to a full range [of] reproductive healthcare options,” Perry said.

Though Kentucky’s trigger law, initially passed in 2019, had taken effect, it was temporarily blocked per court order. However, the trigger law has since been reinstated, combined with a six-week ban.

The trigger law makes it a felony for anyone to perform a procedural or medical abortion. The only exceptions involve preventing the pregnant patient’s death or permanent injury.

With the current laws in place, the organization stressed its worries for the upcoming future.

“Kentucky State Representative Nancy Tate has expressed a desire to ban oral contraceptives and other types of contraceptives by mail and prescription to public universities and through university health centers,” Perry said. “This would be extremely dangerous.”

The organization has plans to host events about sexual education and what will be on the upcoming Kentucky ballots regarding abortions and reproductive rights. They also plan on coordinating activities with the Alliance group and Pride Center in the future.

“This semester, we want to focus education around the Kentucky amendment, but overall we want people to learn what reproductive rights mean beyond abortion,” Perry said. “We are here to educate and to connect as a community.”

In the upcoming state election on Nov. 8, Kentucky Constitutional Amendment 2, No Right to Abortion in Constitution Amendment, will be on the ballots. If passed, the state Constitution would be altered to declare nothing in the state Constitution creates a right to abortion or requires government funding.

“Sponsors of this bill had the opportunity to change the wording of the bill to include exceptions for the life of the pregnant person, rape and incest, but they voted down the changes before its final passage,” Perry said. The organization hopes to make a positive impact on the campus community but is aware of the potential controversy its organization could face.

“We are hoping for a positive response from the student body, but it is more likely that we will get a mixed response,” Perry said. “We just want everyone to be understanding of others.”

The organization plans to have weekly meetings at 6 p.m. on Mondays. The next meeting will be on Monday, Oct. 17 at the Women’s Center in Suite C102 of the Oakley Applied Science Building.

Anyone interested in joining the organization or participating in its meetings can do so by going to @msuppgenaction on Instagram.