All Campus Sing set to return to Lovett steps

The last ACS to happen in its traditional format was in Spring 2019. (Brock Kirk/ The News)

Dionte Berry
News Editor

After being hindered by COVID-19 for the last two years, All Campus Sing (ACS) is making its comeback to the steps of Lovett Auditorium.

Sigma Alpha Iota announced at an informational meeting that the 63rd ACS will be returning back to its original format after being altered by COVID-19.

ACS is a singing and dancing competition among student organizations such as clubs, residential colleges and Greek organizations that serves to highlight and donate to Sigma Alpha Iota’s philanthropy, People to People, which donates instruments to schools that can’t afford them.

ACS was cancelled in 2020 because of campus’ COVID-19 closure, and in 2021 the performances were only viewable through livestream, performers had to be masked and organizations could only allow three performers at a time.

Returning to normal means that campus organizations will be able to perform on the steps of Lovett for an audience that will sprawl across the quad.

The number of performers will only be limited to how many people can fit on the steps of Lovett.

A majority of the student body has not experienced a normal ACS, including the 2022 ACS Chair junior music and psychology major Addi Bussen.

“I’m super excited for it even though I haven’t experienced it myself, it does seem like just a very exciting event overall, and everyone seems to look forward to it every year,” Bussen said.

Although COVID-19 is expected to remain a variable in the spring semester, Bussen said since the event is outside they have been given the green light from the Music Department and the Office of Student Affairs. Despite having that green light now, the normalcy of ACS is reliant on the severity of COVID-19.

With ACS back in person, Bussen sees it as a way to engage with the student population.

“For ACS last year we at least wanted to have something that people could get involved with, because I feel like there was a weird lack of spirit,” Bussen said. “This year since we are going back to normal hopefully there will be a lot much more involvement.”

Sigma Alpha Iota President Senior Lucy Wilkinson shares the same excitement about the return of ACS. For Wilkinson her experience is different from Bussen’s because she was able to experience a normal ACS.

“I would describe Sigma Alpha Iota’s All Campus Sing as an event that is an experience like no other,” Wilkinson said. “Being able to see organizations all across campus come together to share music is a truly inspirational thing.”

Through the COVID-19 pandemic, Sigma Alpha Iota has seen multiple roadblocks such as not being able to hold a normal ACS in the past as well as not being able to use their space in Lovett, because of renovations.

While having to deal with unfamiliarities for nearly the past two years, the upcoming ACS stands as a return to normalcy for Sigma Alpha Iota.

“Pushing through COVID-19 has been so tough for everyone and it [ACS] will be a day to relax and share music with each other,” Wilkinson said. “I would love for everyone to come out and spend the day with us! ACS is 100% free and is an all day event and it is so much fun.”

ACS will be on April 13, 2022 at 3:30 p.m. in front of Lovett Auditorium.