Cabaret the musical is to be performed from April 25-28.
'Cabaret' musical offers glimpse into 1920s Berlin
MacKenzie Rogers, Lifestyle Editor • April 26, 2024

The department of global languages and theatre arts and the department of music teamed up together to present the musical “Cabaret” from...

VIDEO: Lovett Live returns after pandemic absence
Rebeca Mertins Chiodini, Photography Editor • April 26, 2024

In the pre-COVID era, music business students at Murray State University produced and hosted Lovett Live, a night of music in the historic auditorium...

Students offer mixed opinions about on-campus employment

Students offer mixed opinions regarding campus employment, from wages to scheduling.
MacKenzie Rogers

When it comes to getting a job while in college, many flock to on-campus positions to avoid commutes. However, with hundreds of people applying for the same position, securing one of the few on-campus jobs can be a hassle. 

All active job positions are housed on Handshake, an online career management program utilized to make finding positions easier. For some, this is where the problems with finding a job on campus begin, as it introduces many to Federal Work-Study positions. These jobs are exclusively for students with financial needs determined by the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA). Without being applicable for the Federal Work-Study program, students see a decline in on-campus employment opportunities.

Amanda Mansfield, career experience coordinator with Career Services, said students often come to Career Services when they are unsure about which jobs they are applicable for. 

Students come to our office kind of concerned if they’re not being selected for the positions,” Mansfield said. “We offer resume tips and reviews, and kind of give them tips on how to get involved on campus and boost those skills on the resume.”

Mansfield said she recommended students who are struggling to get on-campus work to increase their involvement around campus, especially in leadership positions. 

Zoe Knight, junior English literature major, said she thinks making connections with people is one of the best ways to get an on-campus job. 

“I had applied to several jobs on campus, and either it wouldn’t fit in my schedule, or some programs never replied back,” Knight said. “I simply networked my way into my job despite it not being in my major or minor. The road there was quite hard with the searching because of the inability to find something.”

But for some students, working on campus isn’t worth the lower wages and limited hours.  

MacKenzie Williamson, freshman earth and environmental sciences education major, said she doesn’t think working on campus is sustainable. 

“I barely make a stable wage off campus,” Williamson said. “(Off-campus workers) get paid more, and they don’t cap hours, but if you don’t have a car, then it’s super convenient to work here (on campus).”

The best time of the year to get an on-campus job is over the summer, after graduating students leave, opening their positions for new students to take. 

“We’re there to really help boost the student’s chances of getting a job, whether it be on campus or off,” Mansfield said. “So, just utilizing the services that they have available is going to be their best bet in getting those positions.”

If you are on the job market and are having trouble finding places hiring, consider utilizing sites like Indeed for off-campus positions.