Halloween costume tips to get all the treats

It’s time to get your costume craze on! Trick or treat?

Have you felt the chill in the air this week? It’s finally starting to feel like fall in Murray, and Halloween is less than two weeks away. For students who celebrate the spooky season, it’s time to get a costume.

Unfortunately, Murray has limited options for local costume shopping. With the nearest Spirit Halloween in Paducah, Murray State students may have to get a bit creative to stay on budget.

While Murray may not have a big-name costume store, it does have its fair share of thrift and consignment stores. Neat Repeats and The Closet Door are two small local businesses within driving distance of the University. During this time of year, these stores are stocked with spooky apparel and accessories. Larger chain stores like Goodwill, the Murray Peddlers Mall and dollar stores can also be great places to throw an outfit together. 

Thrifting a costume requires time and creativity, but if you shop smart, it could end up cheaper than a full costume. You can recreate iconic characters or classic horror tropes with the clothes you find at thrift and consignment stores. Not to mention, what you buy can be returned, donated or incorporated into your everyday outfits. 

If thrifting isn’t your style, there’s always the internet. Amazon and Walmart sell a range of costumes and ship them to the University’s post office. Spirit Halloween and Party City have their own websites as well. It’s nice to get the whole costume in one purchase, but a lot of them can cost up to 60 dollars even before tax and shipping. The time it takes to ship can throw a wrench in your holiday plans, especially if you have to exchange your costume for a different size.

If you’re planning to dress up this Halloween, it’s time to think about what works best for you. Thrifting can be cost efficient and lots of fun, while online shopping can get you the exact look you’re searching for. Either way, have a fun and safe Halloween this year!