Voters reflect on state, national election results

Voters lined up to the road at the CFSB Center on Election Day. (Mary Huffman/The News)

Jill Smith, Staff Writer

Results from midterm elections indicate the majority of Americans are supportive of the Democratic party, regardless of expectations of a red wave. 

Despite the blue majority nationally, the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives seats for Kentucky remained Republican. 

In the Senate race, incumbent Rand Paul won against Democratic candidate Charles Booker by a margin of 23.6%. Incumbent Rep. James Comer defeated Democratic running mate Jimmy Ausbrooks by a margin of 49.8%. 

This election cycle, voters were faced with a number of issues on the ballot as more Kentuckians went out to vote. 

“Pretty sure we’re going to hit or surpass 50% turnout,” Kentucky Secretary of State Michael Adams Tweeted on Nov. 8. This hasn’t happened since the 1990s, according to Fox 56 News. 

Voters rejected Amendment 1, which would allow legislators to call special sessions without the governor’s approval. Amendment 2, which would amend the state constitution to say there is no right to abortion, was also rejected. 

In Calloway County, both Paul and Comer won the majority vote. Both amendments were voted “yes” by the county’s majority. 

Members of Calloway County gathered during the midterms to voice their opinions on key issues affecting them.

Calloway County Democrat member Bucky Erwin said while he is a lifelong voter, the issues presented in the midterms were much more important to him. 

“I’m 65 years old, but the division in the country, the turn to hatred, the violence, the things that are going on and the means that people are using to stay in power just got to stop,” Erwin said. “We have a democracy, and you’ve got to protect it.”

Senior political science and legal studies major Ali Durrett said she wasn’t too surprised when she heard the results. 

“Media and right-wing news outlets had predicted a ‘red wave,’ but in actuality, there was little shift due to the strong opinions around the overturning of Roe,” Durrett said. “When it comes to our local electives, I was also not surprised.”

Women’s issues and Amendment 2 led others to the voting booth. 

Risa Perry, a member of the Calloway County Democrats, said women should have control over their bodies without the government intervening.

“I don’t think that you should just terminate every single pregnancy you have, but it should be the woman’s decision, not an outside entity, because it’s a private affair to begin with,” Perry said. “We don’t call the governor or hold the legislation [in] session whenever somebody breaks their leg, so why would we do that over our reproductive rights?”

The News reached out to Republican voters for their response to the midterms, but they did not respond by press time. 

Claire Uhlik, a sophomore psychology and criminal justice major, said she wanted to vote for a number of reasons but urges young voters to become involved in future elections. 

“We’re the ones that are making the change, and we’re the ones that are gonna end up in the office someday with our presence on social media,” Uhlik said. “We need to represent those opinions and put them into action, and the best way to do that is to go out and vote.”

Durrett said it’s important for voters to research before Election Day to ensure they are making informed decisions. 

“I think how confusing the wording of Amendment 1 and 2 [was] goes to show the importance of looking up what is on the ballot before you go,” Durrett said. “An informed voter is a powerful voter, and no one should be embarrassed to ask anyone at the polls what something means, or Google search before you go.”

The Associated Press reports Democrats control the Senate and Republicans control the House of Representatives, as of Wednesday, Nov. 16.